This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Whether its jet setting across Europe and Asia, photographing models, or shooting for the Boston Calling music festival, Lauren Engël has already established herself as a successful photographer at age 19. Yet when she’s not photographing models or events, she’s busy studying for her accounting final. She is a Northeastern University Business student and Co-President of the photography club. That’s why Lauren Engël is this week’s Campus Celeb.

When did you first start photography?
I started when I was around 15. I saved up for a Canon 500D–not knowing at that time how much I would love photography! I got into it by editing pictures first; I taught myself Photoshop and started editing other photographers’ pictures and decided I should talk my own.

How did you start developing more of a following?
I don’t really think of my ‘following’—I’m really happy people like and support the work that I shoot. I post on tumblr where things are either hit or miss—some of my pictures have ten thousands of notes whereas some don’t even get seen by the public. I post on my facebook page for things that I’m featured in or have my work published in and new work. Instagram and my blog I post my life—wherever I travel or even daily life I snap pictures.

What’s a typical shoot like for you?
If it were a look-book shoot I would go over with the client the themes for the shoot, pick out the location and model that would be best for the shoot. Before the shoot I would put together a bunch of references for the mood to show to the model and right before the shoot I would match the specific location to outfit with the stylist during hair and makeup. After the shoot I would pick out the best pictures with the client!

Name some of the coolest places you have shot. Which was your favorite?
Probably my last shoot! I travelled to Montreal for thanksgiving and set up a shoot with Nelson of Folio Models and shot outside the Olympic Stadium!

How would you describe your photography style?
I feel my style constantly changes; it revolves around my life—the inspiration I pick up, the people I meet, the stylist or model that I find. This year I’ve been trying to get more into party photography; I’ve started contributing to Life Without Andy, street wear and recently men’s wear. I’ve been told that my style is a bit ‘flirty’ and raw.

What was it like shooting for Boston Calling?
Boston Calling was the first concert that I shot at—definitely different to all the other shoots I have done. It was definitely super exciting—I absolutely adore some of the acts that performed. It was also interesting incorporating the crowd, the mood of the concert into the shots and figuring out the lighting and best angles to capture the stage shots.

What is the main difference between event coverage and fashion photography?
The main difference is working with so much more people and nothing is really planned. For the best shots you have to be able to see it, be in the moment and translate the environment into the pictures.

Tell us about shooting for and meeting Kendrick Lamar!
I started shooting for Fly, my favourite club in HK, and they also have several other clubs under the same group. The marketing manager who I liaise with about upcoming shoots called me on Tuesday and asked me if I were free on Thursday. Long story short that’s how I got my gig with Beats By Dre as Kendrick performed in the club that I shot for! To be honest, I haven’t followed his work THAT much, I know how respected he is of a rapper which is huge especially in this rap game right now. I took pictures of him throughout the afternoon and night and it’s definitely such a different life for him! For sure this is one of my greatest experiences with photography.

What’s your favorite thing about Northeastern?
How innovative they are, some schools don’t care about their students and are stuck in their own… Northeastern knows what to spend money on and how to attract better students.

What are your goals for the future? Do you see a future as a photographer?
Not for my career but I’m trying to get as far as I can shooting around my life. I really want to do marketing for a fashion company.

Check out Lauren’s photography:
http://www.engelauren.com
http://www.engelauren.tumblr.com
https://www.facebook.com/laurenvanessaengel

Stephanie Cohn

Northeastern

Stephanie is a Sophomore Journalism major at Northeastern University and has been with her campus for about a year now. She spent her first semester abroad in Costa Rica where she discovered her passion for writing through weekly blog assignments. Stephanie is now in the process of pursuing a minor in Latin American studies and hopes that someday to cover the region. Currently she is the Hub Health intern for Boston Magazine and the promotions chair for Hercampus Northeastern. Outside of HerCampus she enjoys healthy baking, yoga, creative writing, and spending time with her Sigma Kappa sorority sisters. 
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!