Husky Hockey in the Cathedral of Boston: Frozen Fenway 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The Huskies and Eagles take the ice during the National Anthem

A Northeastern collegiette’s™ average Saturday afternoon often consists of sleeping in, hitting up the dining hall with friends, or spending the day shopping on Newbury. I spent last Saturday at Fenway Park for Frozen Fenway 2012 to watch the Northeastern men’s hockey team skate on the infield. Despite the chilling temperatures and excitement of playoff football buzzing around, more than 26,000 fans came out to the Cathedral of Boston to see the Huskies take on the Boston College Eagles following a high school match up between BC High and Catholic Memorial.

Northeastern’s special throwback jerseys for the event

For fans of Boston sports such as myself, the novelty of watching my Northeastern team play at the home of the Red Sox was simply magical. Despite the absence of an organized student section, the DogHouse was out in full force, filling the ballpark with chants of “Lets go Huskies” and “Go NU.” I was fortunate enough to split time between my grandstand seat and the press box, joining other student reporters from WRBB Sports and The Huntington News. The sounds of enthusiastic Husky fans still rang up into level 5.

Fellow HC staffer Sarah and I in the Fenway Press Booth!

After an evenly fought first period, the Huskies and Eagles headed through the dugouts and into their respective clubhouses scoreless. BC and Northeastern each struck once in the second, heading into the third tied 1-1. Due to the windy weather conditions, the third period was split into two 10-minute periods, allowing the teams to switch sides at the half-way mark. At  4:02 in the third period, BC scored their second goal of the night, which would ultimately be the game deciding tally, with Northeastern falling 2-1 at the end of the 60 minutes.

Even with the Huskies’ loss and the less than pleasant temperatures, this game was exciting, fast, well played, and certainly an experience that Husky fans will always remember.

To hear a recap of the game’s radio broadcast, visit WRBB Sports Online, and check out our HC Northeastern photoblog for more of my pictures from Fenway Park!

Jersey photo courtesy of @markmajewski

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.