From Hose to Heels: a Collegiette’s™ Guide to Co-op Apparel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s that time of year again; resumes have gone out, interviews have been scheduled and you’re left not only deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life, but what you’re going to wear while doing it.

Every March and October mark the time where eager Northeastern students furiously check their e-mail every three minutes, spend their free time perfecting their LinkedIn accounts, hitting the “privacy” button on their Facebook and stress over interviews. Co-op season is in full swing.

Co-op interviews are definitely high-pressure situations. As if you didn’t have enough to worry about without panicking over your outfit.

Consider the industry you’re applying for; this may give you more leeway in how creative you can get. For example, if you’re applying for a design co-op you might want to go for something with a bit more color and edge, whereas if you’re applying for a co-op at a law firm, you’ll want to stick to classic neutrals and clean lines. Remember in any interview setting (and in life, in my opinion) it is absolutely better to look too dressed up than too dressed down.

So where do you start when putting together an interview outfit? Why, the shoes of course. What shoes you wear will dictate whether you can wear dress pants or a skirt and how creative you can get with the rest of your ensemble.

• Black pointed toe flats are a must. Even if you want to rock the heels during your actual interview, toss these babies in your bag for the commute. Your feet will thank you and you won’t look like you just played a hard round of soccer in the parking lot. Try Target’s Twist Toe Flats. They are inexpensive and just cute enough to get away with wearing to after-work festivities.
  • Neutral heels go with everything. I’m in love with Nine West’s Ambitious Pumps. They are understated, sexy and their not-too-skinny heel will keep the balls of your feet from going numb, which is always a plus in my book. If tan isn’t your thing, go for a black or navy.

Now that you’ve got that covered, time to move on to your corresponding bottoms.

• If you’ve gone with flats, I recommend you choose dress pants or dress capris. It’s a little Katherine Hepburn of me, but I love a mid-calf length trouser and a pair of adorable flats; I think it makes you look sophisticated and a little bit funky.
  • Whether you go bold with a capri or keep it safe with a pant, go with Ann Taylor Loft’s Ann Classic. They are comfy, moderately priced and go great with anything. Tip! Choose a colored or patterned silk scarf to act as your belt to jazz up an otherwise colorless ensemble.
  • If you can’t resist that cute little pump in the window at Macy’s you can have limitless options. You can stick to the pants or capris we talked about before, OR you can go for one of my favorite wardrobe staples—the pencil skirt. Business meets total sex kitten in one fantastically put together-looking piece. Loving Ann Taylor’s Ponte Pencil Skirt for work and play. Some people claim going pantyhose-less to be one of the cardinal sins of fashion, but I say if your skirt is long enough, and your legs aren’t sporting this year’s look in yeti, forego the hose and rock it.

Okay, so we’re got shoe and bottoms down—and unless, you plan to wow your future boss with your taste in all things lace, you’re going to need a blouse.

• A simple, collared button-up is always a classic, but I like to go for something a little more fun.
  • Tied or untied, Ann Taylor’s Pleat Front Shirt with Necktie is completely business appropriate and goes great with any combo.
  • If you want to go for more of a seperates look, try a sleeveless blouse topped with a simple cardigan. The duo will look seamless and give you more option for day to day when you snag that job.

To top off your “hire me” look:

• Take a few extra minutes to blow your hair out and above all else—do not give into the temptation of the ponytail. I know it’s an easy go-to look, but try pulling only half hour hair up, sweeping it into a messy bun or leaving it down.
  • Keep your nails neutral. This isn’t the time to try out those leopard print stick-ons; go for a simple colored polish like nude, baby pink or even clear to match every outfit and hide chipping.
  • Makeup is a must. Even if you don’t wear it on a regular basis, invest in some concealer and mascara at the very least to help yourself look wide-awake. For those of you that are makeup fiends like myself, hold back. After the aforementioned basics, toss on a little cheek color and a subtle gloss and stop. You want to look professional, not like you played dress-up and went a little crazy with mom’s lipstick.
  • Bejewel yourself. Wear simple stud earrings and one other piece. This is where you can get a little creative; if you’re going for more of a design job, go for something eclectic and artsy, like a chunky necklace or bracelet. If you’re going for a more business-oriented position, I wouldn’t bother with anything more than a simple pendent.

I hope these tips help in your hunt for the perfect position—above all else, keep yourself looking classy like the collegiette™ you are. Good luck!

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.
Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!