Grease: Live is the Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

A big event happened this past week in the musical world when Fox aired its fourth live musical, Grease: Live. If you saw or heard anything about the past live productions, you probably know that this one didn’t have much to live up to in that department. However, if you weren’t sheltered as a child and saw the piece of art that is the 1978 movie Grease, you know that Grease: Live had John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Frankie Avalon as the Teen Angel, and a flying car to live up to. And, boy, is that a lot. Needless to say, anyone who is an avid musical lover and who has seen Grease at least ten times-both which describe myself-would have many criticisms about the new adaptation.

Let’s get started.

Although she is no Frankie Valli, Jessie J did a good job opening the show with “Grease Is The Word.” It was an interesting way to incorporate the title song from the movie into the show, without actually adding it to the plot line. Jessie J, with her on-point outfit, walked throughout the set, dressing rooms, and audience, allowing us viewers at home to get insight into what was happening behind the scenes, and a taste of what was yet to come. Although the song sounded more 2016 radio than it did 1950s malt shop, I still found it entertaining and well executed.

One actress that stood out to me for being perfectly annoying was Elle McLemore in her role as Patty Simcox. Fresh out of New York City, Elle moved from one uncomfortable character in the Off-Broadway musical Heathers to another. Her on-edge personality and the crazy look in her eyes made the audience cringe in a great way.Talking about Patty Simcox, there was an abnormally long cheering-audition sequence in which she tried to outdo Sandy. I was confused as to why that part was so long, or even included. Perhaps it was so the cast would have time to change costumes, or maybe just to showcase Sandy’s high-kicking abilities, which were quite impressive.

Sandy was played by the beautiful and multitalented Julianne Hough. Not only did she look right for the part, she sang, danced, and acted flawlessly, even wowing the audience when she turned into “cool” Sandy at the end. Although the song wasn’t placed in the musical when it used to be, one highlight of her part was “Hopelessly Devoted To You,” when Sandy sings about still loving Danny even though he broke her heart. Her sweet, sorrowful voice moved viewers and made us think back to our lost loves. Another high point was Julianne Hough’s incredible dancing at the school dance where she sock-hopped and hand-jived into America’s heart.

Another person who was perfectly cast was Aaron Tveit. The seasoned Broadway and television actor (who you might remember as Tripp Van der Bilt in Gossip Girl) took the stage as bad boy Danny Zuko and performed the part wonderfully. His acting was suave and cool, as it should be, but it was his voice that won over audiences, or at least it won over me. Whether it was “Grease Lightening,” “Summer Nights,” or “Stranded At The Drive-In,” his gorgeous voice never failed, and neither did his gorgeous looks.

One alteration that was noticed by most Grease: Live watchers was the family-friendly lyrics that replaced some of the racy ones. While I understand that changing the lyrics would make the show more family-friendly, the blush-worthy lyrics are what make Grease all that it is! And why did they change some of the lyrics and not “did she put up a fight?” in “Summer Nights”? It’s a mystery to me.

As everyone probably knows by now, Vanessa Hudgens had a lot going on when Grease: Live aired. Unfortunately her father passed away a mere four hours before showtime, and the fact that she was able to still perform was an incredible feat in itself. Stepping up and giving as good a performance as she did, when she probably wanted to do anything but sing, deserves a large amount of praise.

Now, Vanessa is most known for her sweet and innocent role as Gabriella in the High School Musical saga. Rizzo, on the other hand, is nothing like that role. I have to say that her acting was not all that Stockard Channing’s was because, to me, Vanessa Hudgens is still that sweet little girl stuck in a star-crossed love with Zac Efron. Hudgens’ voice was her strong point in this show. Her emotional rendition of “There Are Worst Things I Could Do” was one of the highlights of her performance, and it showed viewers that she is no longer a kid. The maturity and density of her voice was impressive, and the emotion she brought to the table was incredible.

Rizzo’s romantic interest, Kenickie, was performed by former Big Time Rush member Carlos PenaVega. I knew him from the band and the Nickelodeon tv show, so I wasn’t sure if he had the musical theatre skills in him. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I can’t say he’s going to be Broadway’s next big thing, he didn’t disappoint.

Carly Rae Jepson’s character was also unexpectedly good, considering I thought she was only in the cast because it gave them a big name that might draw a different audience. Acting as Frenchy, she came across as a cheeky, cosmetology-loving, sweetheart, and her voice wasn’t half bad either. Although completely not Carly’s fault, the new song that was written in the show, “All I Need Is An Angel” was a total flop. The song sounded more likely to be off of Carly Rae Jepson’s new album than a song from the 50’s. Why add a new song to a show that is already complete? It made perfect sense to have a song sung by a guardian angel, but not to have another song about needing an angel directly before it.

This leads us to “Beauty School Drop Out.” Boyz II Men? More like Boyz II Angels. Their roles as the collective Teen Angel was one of the best parts of the show. Their flawless harmonies, teamed up with their swooning looks and the childhood dreams of us all, made their performance amazing.

Another surprisingly good Nickelodeon break-out star was Keke Palmer in the role of Marty. Her acting was alright, although it still felt a little Nick-at-Night-ish, but I did like her voice. Grease: Live brought back the song “Freddy My Love,” which I still think should have been included in the film, and Palmer did a nice job with it. The sequence started in Frenchy’s bedroom, but with a close-up and an incredible costume change from a blue nighty to a saucy red gown, the set changed to a runway for Marty to strut down and sing more about her long-distance love who sends her letters and silk robes. It was an interesting take on the song and the story, and I liked it.

However, it was the out-of-the-blue amazing performance by Jordan Fisher, who played Doody, singing “Those Magic Changes” that left me in awe. The last time I had seen him was in Teen Beach Movie on Disney Channel; the fact that I recognized him from that is not something I am proud of. When he hit those higher notes and sang the harmonies with Aaron Tveit I could feel the people around me, as well as in the live audience, hold their breath, and it left me with the question, “why isn’t he on Broadway yet?”

There are some appearances from other recognizable celebrities that need to be mentioned. Ana Gasteyer, who you may recognize from Mean Girls or old Saturday Night Live episodes, played Principal Magee. Although it was only a minor role, I thought she did well and gave a little comic relief with Haneefah Wood, who played her secretary Blanche. Joe Jonas and his new band DNCE played Johnny Casino and the Gamblers who played at the school dance. For a real blast from the past Mario Lopez, who is most known as cool-guy Slater in Saved By The Bell, played the self-absorbed Vince Fontaine, who emcees the school dance. However, my favorite appearances were of Barry Pearl and Didi Conn. In this production, they played Stan Weaver, Vince Fontaine’s agent, and Vi, the diner waitress. You might have recognized these familiar faces because they were the original Doody and Frenchy in the film. This was an adorable way to keep the roots of Grease in this new adaptation.All in all, Grease: Live impressed me. There is no way it will ever be the original Grease, but all these unique actors, paired with the creative production ideas, made it a close second. If you haven’t watched it already, I highly suggest you do; for the first time since 1978, Grease is the word!

Hi! I am Emma Kell and I am a freshman at Northeastern University! I am excited to start writing and getting involved with HerCampus and to share my thoughts and ideas with others like me!
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: