This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Disclaimer: This article is for the people who complain about not looking good all the time, but then proceed to put in zero effort. If you are the type who lives in sweats and love it, then more power to you doll! XO

On behalf of myself and the fashion community, let me make one request of you this year: don’t dress like a basic b*tch.

Ditch your white striped t-shirt dresses, flannels tied around your waist, UGG boot & legging combo (why do people my age still do this?), and North Face-meets-messy bun look. It’s not cute.

Elevate your style this year not to impress other people, but to feel better about yourself. It’s my own personal mantra: Look good, feel good, DO good. Trust me, it works.

People around me for some reason feel as though wearing workout gear 24/7 and going out in public in pajamas is acceptable. Now, not that I’ve never worn a pair of black leggings to class before (let’s be real), but at least pair it with a Moschino tee and leather crop jacket instead of your mom’s college sorority sweatshirt that looks like it hasn’t been washed since she originally got it.

It’s interesting because I currently have an international roommate and she always looks presentable and nicely dressed, and I recall one of my friends from the US making a comment about it to which I turned to her and said “No, in Europe it’s not dressing up. It’s simply dressing.”

Perhaps it’s my ~international~ background, or the influence of my glam queen of a mother, but I will never and have never understood why people (at least from what I’ve seen on college campuses) don’t care about their appearance.

Now, read below for my primary tips to elevate your style this semester and stop looking like a basic b*tch.

1. STAPLES, PEOPLE.

Find what works for you. My personal style is what I call “Jackie O’s evil twin sister” meaning elegant, but with a twist. Neutrals, classic silhouettes, simple jewelry, but with the occasional leather jacket or ripped jean.

Find YOUR staple pieces. Tailored, structured pieces; things that you can throw on that can be worn from day to night.

Things that will never let you down even when you’re running from your 3PM bio class to go meet Jenny for happy hour.

For me, this includes things like camel cardigans, black V-necks, this to-die-for Vince silk blouse that I just got my hands on, and my favorite black tailored blazer with a double zip for some flair.

Courtesy of SaveSpendSplurge

2. HOW TO ACCESSORIZE THE RIGHT WAY.

A large part of elevating your style is accessorizing. You would never carry a Balenciaga city bag with a cocktail dress, right? So, learn to accessorize. My rule is the rule of opposites.

Have a busy neckline, go for simple jewelry (my favorite is thin, Lana gold necklaces or earrings of that nature, see below).

Doing a high pony, throw in some hoops.

Structured silhouette, smaller bag.

You get the point. Accessories can either make or break the look, so learning how to do it correctly is very important. You don’t even know how many times I’ve gotten away with wearing my go-tos (See #1: Staples) because I accessorized and styled them differently.

Courtesy of Pinimg

Courtesy of Pinimg

3. PLEASE, OH PLEASE, DO NOT BUY WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS BUYING.

If I see one more Louis Vuitton Neverfull I think I am going to scream. Do some research. See what’s new and what’s the current inspo for the item you’re seeking. If you can’t afford something that you want (which is probably why everyone has the Neverfull because it’s basically the cheapest item LV offers) then wait. It’s worth the wait to not look like everyone else.

I’ve said it to my friends and I’ll say it again: It is much better to have a handmade, hand stitched leather bag then get a Neverfull or its equivalent (if we’re using totes as an example). If you must go designer, do some research. I know YSL has their tote which retails for $995, comes with a cute pouch and is actual leather unlike the LV canvas. Fendi has a monster tote for $1,250 and let’s not forget the super fun and exciting designs Givenchy releases with their Antigona totes every season retailing $1,320, all in the same range as the Neverfull.

Take the time to see what works for you, because I’m telling you right now: not everything works for everyone and if you want to look good, you have to put some effort into it.

Like I always say, “I’m not obsessed with shopping, I’m obsessed with looking good.”

Courtesy of Neiman Marcus

Courtesy of Neiman Marcus

Courtesy of Yoox

Ciao for now!

Laura Moya

Northeastern

Senior Communications and Media and Screen Studies major with a minor in Business Administration at Northeastern University. From Miami, Florida. Avid coffee drinker, TV junkie, travel lover. President and Campus Correspondent at HCNU.