Do You Want a Pizza My Heart?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just passing by, you probably saw three types of people on Instagram this year: the people who gushed about their significant others, the people who just wanted to be with their girls that night, and the people who wished everyone would shut up so they could enjoy some pizza. In other words, the Beyonce + Jay-Zs, the Taylor Swifts, and the Jennifer Lawrences of the world.

For you those of you who identify with the third group (congrats for being a fellow J-Law), this article is for you. For the other two groups, this article is still for you. Pizza doesn’t discriminate.

While it’s super easy to call up Domino’s or walk to New York Pizza or Cappy’s, it’s also wicked easy to make your own! Below you will find some great recipes to play around with and try.

Using Store Bought Pizza Dough (preheat oven to 400 degrees):

1. Caprese Pizza: Based off the salad, this incorporates the cheese and tomatoes from a typical pizza in a new and fun way!

Pizza dough

A bit of olive oil

Mozzarella cheese

Thinly sliced tomatoes (medium is best)

Basil (optional)

Balsamic dressing

Roll out the pizza dough to the thinness of your liking, and then add a thin coat of olive oil to the dough. Put in the oven for 5 minutes or so. Take it back out and add a layer of Mozzarella cheese with the tomatoes scattered on top. Next, drizzle the dressing to taste over the top. Put back in the oven until the cheese is bubbling.

2. Buffalo Chicken Pizza: a classic style that is always a hit.

Pizza dough

A bit of olive oil

Chicken breast

Frank’s RedHot

Blue cheese or ranch dressing

Mozzarella cheese

Cook the chicken in a thin layer of water (just covering the chicken) in a skillet pan on the stovetop. Once cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken to the thinness that you are looking for. From there, add Frank’s RedHot and your dressing of choice until they create a nice sauce.

Roll out the pizza dough to the thinness of your liking, and then add a thin coat of the olive oil to dough. Put in the oven for 5 minutes or so. Add the chicken mixture and spread it around the pie. Add the cheese layer. Put back in the oven until the cheese is bubbling.

3.  Spinach and Artichoke Pizza: This one is a little complicated, so I’ve attached the link to the recipe.

http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/spinach-and-artichoke-pizza/

Some creative approaches:

4. Zucchini crust:

2 zucchinis

1 large egg

1 cup low fat mozzarella

½ teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons pizza sauce

Basil for garnish

The directions can be found here: http://www.foodandnewyorkcity.com/2013/09/skinny-zucchini-pizza-crust.html

5. Quinoa Crust:

½ cup quinoa

1 ½ cup water (for cooking the quinoa)

1 large egg

½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs/Italian seasoning

¼ teaspoon garlic salt (optional)

¼ cup shredded cheese

For the full recipe: http://yummilyyours.com/quinoa-crust-pizza/

Now enjoy your pizza! (:

Hi. I am a sophmore studying business with a dual concentration in marketing and management, as well as a minor in sustainable business. Outside of school I have a passion for sports, especially football (Patriots) and hockey (Bruins). I also love to bake, snuggle with my puppy, read and hang out with my friends.
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!