Campus Celebrity: Nidhey Pan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Nidhey Pan 

Hometown: India

Year: Freshman

Major: Entrepreneurship and Finance

Student Involvement: Alpha Kappa Psi, Executive VP of the Family Business Club, Entrepreneurship Club, International Business Club, AIESEC, South Asian Culture Club

What are PAN Capital Services and PAN Chaat Box?

PAN Capital Services is a stockbroking service focused on investments in the foreign exchange market and commodities. Many people can easily lose money if not properly advised, especially in a volatile market like foreign exchange. I like the volatility because it is exciting and I like helping others. It’s especially nice because we recruit from the major universities in India and create more employment opportunities.

PAN Chaat Box is an idea I am working to start. The world has become so small and you can eat any type of food anywhere. There are 52 universities in Boston with tons of international students from India. I want to bring the authentic culture of India to Boston with Indian Street Food in a food truck that you can grab on the go in less than five minutes. 

What inspired you to start these two businesses?

I have always been interested in business and I come from a family business background. It’s my passion. I decided to pursue my ideas between high school and college to get more experience and stand out among my peers. I also realized if I have these ideas right now; why not try to make them happen right now?

What were some of the challenges of starting your own businesses at a young age and how did you overcome them?

Before PAN Capital Services, there was only one company that did the type of business my company does. It was a monopoly with a big name in the market and a great reputation. It was trusted, so it was initially hard to get employees. I wanted someone with experience who could mentor me to help. The first person recommended to me wasn’t the best fit, so I looked for someone else and offered him a deal in which he could work closer to his family by working for me. There are also a lot of permissions when trading foreign currency that I needed to obtain, which was harder at first.

How has it been to balance these passions with school and transitioning to college and a new country?

It is fairly easy to balance because of the time difference between India and America, but I definitely sleep less! I feel like its better to work on starting these ideas and putting in the work now while I am a freshman with easier classes as opposed to when I am on co-op or in classes with a heavier workload. I am still heavily involved on campus though. It’s the best way to meet people and make friends for a lifetime.

What was your first reaction to the Forbes Feature?

I was so happy. Forbes initially sends out 2,500 invitations and then chooses 350 final people to attend based on their applications. I couldn’t believe I got selected!

How was the Forbes “Reinventing America” Summit?

It was amazing. There was so much to learn. It was especially aspiring to see very motivated people who are much older but still wanting to learn new things and improve the world.

What are your future plans – will you implement your start-ups into a co-op?

I definitely want to work for a big company because it’s the best way to learn from others and expand your network. A big company is my first target. However, a start – up would also be interesting because the American market is so different from the market of my home country. 

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: