Campus Celebrity: Alex Peterson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Alex Peterson

Major: Psychology with Interests in Music, Environmental Justice, and Social Justice

Hometown: Auburn, New York

Campus Involvement: NUHawk, EspressoSelf, ResLife, Student Leader for Real Food Challenge

What is Real Food Challenge?

Real Food Challenge is a national organization that mobilizes students to work with their universities to bring “real food” to their campuses. “Real food” is defined as one of four pillars: locally grown, sustainable, humanely produced, and fairly traded. These four pillars are designed to help animals, the environment, workers’ rights, and the local economy by reducing shipping costs and in turn reducing fossil fuels and food waste. Food waste contributes so much to climate change since rotting food releases methane gas. Compost helps solve this, but it is not enough. RFC’s goal is to source 20% “real food” by 2020 across the United States.

When did Northeastern start campaigning to bring Real Food Challenge to our campus?

Students started RFC in 2012 by working hard to gain student support, get the word out, and trying to reach out to both President Aoun and dining services. After a lot of work, Aoun agreed to sign the Real Food Challenge Commitment, which is a document that the universities sign as a promise to uphold their end of the bargain and outline the processes Real Food Challenge calls for. It’s non-legally binding though – so there are no real consequences of signing. However, right before the cameras flashed to show President Aoun signing the RFC commitment, administration mentioned that they inserted a few clauses into the commitment. We found out after that these additions were basically a loophole says they don’t need to change their existing business practices within this agreement.

What did this mean for Real Food Challenge at Northeastern?

The loophole basically nullified the document and changed the entire purpose of Real Food Challenge, so right now we are campaigning to negotiate a change in the language that follows Real Food Challenge’s actual mission. The point is to create a systematic change. Administration has formally rescinded their support since the signing. However, they have granted us the right to use the Real Food Calculator. We go to IV and check the invoices for all items NU purchases and audit each month to see how much “real food” is being served. However, we can’t have all of the information because the agreement isn’t signed yet. There needs to be more transparency, especially with Chartwells, and less greenwashing about how committed Northeastern is to our cause.

Why would Real Food Challenge be beneficial to Northeastern?

All of the public schools in California have signed the RFC commitment, however no Boston schools have. In fact, BU has flat out rejected it. Northeastern, which is known for its innovation and commitment to social and environmental justice, could be the first! Although Northeastern has done a lot, like letting the dining halls unionize so the workers get better pay and can speak their own languages, letting HEAT install compost for garbages, and passing the 15 Now Referendum, there is still so much more to improve on and so much more of a difference to be made. In addition, Northeastern is the biggest account Chartwells has in the Greater Boston area, so signing the agreement (the real one) would make a big difference in how the company operated. It’s really a challenge to our school’s known competitiveness, uniqueness and commitment to doing the right thing. In addition, and most importantly, it would be better for students by improving the food they eat everyday and better for our community by helping local businesses and the environment.

What can students do to help out Real Food Challenge?

Students can spread the word. Social media goes a long way so please share our pictures and follow us. This is also the best way to find out about events so you can go to them. We are trying to find solidarity with other student groups who share our mission as well. We can’t make real effective change until students unite and all fight for what is right for our health, our staff, our community, and our world.  

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: