5 Most Iconic Oscars Moments from the Past 5 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The Oscars are upon us once again! One of Hollywood’s most coveted nights, the Oscars, also known as the Academy Awards, always brings the glitz and the glamour of high fashion, surprising winners, and many memorable moments. Although this awards show does not include a lineup of performances like the Grammy’s or outrageous outbursts like an MTV awards show (looking at you Kanye), it still brings plenty of drama to talk about for days, or even years to come. There may be some predictability in what may happen, like a La La Land sweep, but let’s take a look at the most iconic, and maybe unexpected, moments from the Oscars in the past five years:

2012: Angelina Jolie and her sky high slit

Courtesy: The Fashion Police

Angelina Jolie’s right leg may have garnered more attention than any trophy could have at the 2012 Oscars. Always known for bold fashion statements, Jolie did not disappoint in an Atelier Versace black dress with a slit exposing her right leg that has become iconic in its own right.

2013: Jennifer Lawrence takes a tumble

Courtesy: Mashable

Winning an Oscar may be hard, but walking up the stairs to accept an Oscar proved to be even harder for our beloved Jennifer Lawrence. While looking like a princess in her Dior gown, Lawrence had some difficulty in navigating the stairs with all of that fabric in accepting her 2013 Oscar for Best Actress in Silver Linings Playbook. Luckily for Jlaw, Hugh Jackman came to the rescue and no one is better at handling embarrassing moments than Hollywood’s favorite clutz.

2014: Ellen DeGeneres’ star-studded selfie

Courtesy: Time Entertainment

Ellen DeGeneres is not one of America’s favorite human beings for nothing. She knows how to please the masses, and she did just that at the 2014 Oscars by assembling one of the best selfies known to man. In an attempt to get the most retweets on Twitter ever, Degeneres gathered together some of Hollywood’s most known and liked stars, including Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, and Kevin Spacey just to name a few!

2014/2015: John Travolta’s introduction mishap and Idina Menzel’s revenge

Courtesy: Giphy

Courtesy: Giphy

John Travolta may have been the cool and collected guy of our dreams in Grease, but it looks like even Danny Zuko gets affected by awards show nerves. In introducing Frozen’s Idina Menzel at the 2014 Oscars, Travolta brutally mispronounced her name as Adela Dazeem, creating an internet sensation for the books. It was all in good fun though, as Menzel had her time for payback in introducing Travolta at the 2015 Oscars as Glom Gazingo. Gotta love Hollywood’s inside jokes!

2016: The Year of Leo

Courtesy: Deadline

After countless memes, disappointments, 6 nominations, and 22 years later, Leonardo Dicaprio finally won his well-deserved Oscar. 2016 may have been a year of many disasters, but it was finally Dicaprio’s time to shine as he won Best Actor for The Revenant at the 2016 Oscars. Not only were we able to revel in Leo’s victory, but we were also treated to DiCaprio bringing along his former co-star and longtime best friend, Kate Winslet, as his date and cheerleader. #JackandRoseForever

Courtesy: ET Online

Here’s hoping the 2017 Oscars bring more moments to remember!

Laura Moya

Northeastern

Senior Communications and Media and Screen Studies major with a minor in Business Administration at Northeastern University. From Miami, Florida. Avid coffee drinker, TV junkie, travel lover. President and Campus Correspondent at HCNU.