5 Books that Made Me Proud to be a Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

On Saturday January 21, 2017, incredible crowds of women and our supporters came together globally to march in hundreds of different cities. Our goal was to unite against the culture of sexism, as well as the ever prevalent homophobia, transphobia, racism, xenophobia, and general rhetoric of hate targeting the non wealthy, white, cisgender, anglo-saxon male, that has become even more palpable with the recent election and inauguration of Donald Trump. As one of the women marching, I was overcome with a sense of immense pride for my gender and the feminist community. A question that many marchers felt after what was such an incredible day was “what can I, what can we, do moving forward so that we can continue moving forward?” While considering this crucial question, I remembered a quote that has always stuck me: “women who read are dangerous.” As an avid reader, I could not agree more. Here is a list for all of my fellow nasty women of my five favorite books that made me oh so proud to be a woman. I hope they inspire you to continue advocating feminism.

1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie   

Americanah shares the power and intellect of the story’s protagonist, Ifemelu, from her life in Nigeria, to the United States, and eventually back to Nigeria again. It is an incredible story of love, loss, and growth and is always told with the ever important backdrop of independence and courage. (Pro-tip: be sure to check out the author’s, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ted Talk on why everyone should be a feminist. Seriously, Adichie is the best.

2. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Very few bonds can ever be stronger than the one between sisters, whether the sisters be related by blood or choice. The Secret Life of Bees is an utterly heartwarming, and at times heartbreaking, narrative of the strength women can give to one another and how high we can rise with our fellow women as pillars.

3. When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago

When I was Puerto Rican highlights the struggles of coming to age in a country so completely different than the one where you were born. The main character, Esmeralda, is so observant and insightful to the world around her, that even at a young age, her story has so much to teach. The relationship between Esmeralda and her mother is a perfectly imperfect demonstration of how strong women raise even stronger daughters; the resilience of the females in this story is truly inspiring.

4. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

When women support other women, everything and anything is possible. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe is a tale complete with women who may lack the Southern Charm that society expects, but they possess something so infinitely more valuable: South Sass.

5. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Interpreter of Maladies is a collection of short stories that so truthfully demonstrate the complexity and grace women in all walks of life carry with them. While each story is stunning on its own, the intricate beauty of the collection makes for an unforgettable read.