15 Reasons Why Being Part of the Supernatural Family is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

You don’t necessarily have to be part of the Supernatural fandom to enjoy Supernatural. I didn’t even know what a fandom was before Supernatural. However, I knew it was going to be part of my identity for the rest of my life when an obsession I’ve never had before for a TV show consumed me. I would look at convention videos, tweets, interviews, interpretations and analyses, I would re-watch episodes, I would talk about it day and night.

Those days might be over, but I still love Supernatural with all of my heart and I’d say it is one of my top three favorite TV shows of all time. It’s gut-wrenchingly emotional, funny, witty, random, and dark. As much as I love the show, I am proud to be part of the fandom, too. We’re a family–the SPN family.

Yeah, we might have a bad reputation–we can be vocal about our opinions, we can be obnoxious, and we can be downright weird. But we also fully support the cast and crew of Supernatural and they reciprocate by working hard every day and creating wonderful experiences for us. I will show you why it’s freaking awesome to be part of the family, let alone watch the series.

1. We have a relevant gif or picture in response to essentially anything people on Tumblr can come up with (which is a feat considering how many weird people are on there). Proof:

Via xRedditQueen at ifunny.com, HopefulMD at imgur.com
  1. You can laugh as hard as you’ve cried in one episode– for me, at least, “Mystery Spot” hit the spot. (Pun intended.)

Via thekaitling on tv.com; ash48 on livejournal.com

1. The show caters to those who are attracted to males. Extremely well, I might add. This is a good link to check out if you would like to explore some more male beauty. (Is Jensen Ackles even human, though????!?!?!!!!??)

Via fanpop.com

1. This show has many flaws, I will admit that. In fact, it can be sexist and downright misogynistic, painting many female characters as one-dimensional characters (damsel in distress or evil). However, there are females who are badass and/or have complicated backstories/incentives, some of which include Meg, Bela, Ruby, Jo, Ellen, and Charlie.

Via Rebloggy

1. We have the best outtakes/bloopers ever. To be honest, we’re not exactly sure how Jensen, Jared, and Misha get work done.

Via WiffleGif; Rebloggy

1. The amount of times the writers of this show mention fangirl terms and ships is astounding, going so far as to even have the Winchesters divulge their opinions about them. They also cater to fangirls’ desires by having other characters ask if certain popular ships are in romantic and/or sexual relationships.

Via Rebloggy, mynerdobsessions.com, dont_be_an_assbutt on ifunny.com

1. For awkward people everywhere, Castiel is the character with whom we can most identify. He is the vessel through which we can channel our awkwardness and inability to effortlessly blend into social situations.

Via allthesupernaturalgifs.tumblr.com

1. The conventions the Supernatural cast holds are fun as hell. (Yes, in the second gif, Jensen is holding a pig).

Via ohmiya_sg on LiveJournal, Rebloggy, thewinterquicksilver.tumblr.com

1. You don’t even have to be in the fandom necessarily to see this. Just watch Season 9, Episode 2. You’re welcome.

Via Jensola on SodaHead

1. They even made a Harlem Shake. If that isn’t cool, nothing is.

Via this person

1. This one episode is basically how siblings tell stories of each other.

Via offonmyown.tumblr.com

1. Random gratuitous shirtless shot. Umf. Those back muscles.

Via WeHeartIt

1. When you find other people who are part of the Supernatural fandom, you’re automatically best friends.

Via Pinterest

1. Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, and Misha Collins are generous and charitable. Jensen’s collaboration with the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas, Jared’s fundraiser “Always Keep Fighting” for the non-profit suicide hotline To Write Love On Her Arms, and Misha’s Random Acts of Kindness (among others) prove that these men are good human beings as well as good actors.

Via ellexenia

1. The cast and crew love us just as much we love them. We’re not a fandom; we’re a family. Family don’t end in blood.

Via Emily at theberry.com

I hope I’ve convinced you to join the family. If not, you can still enjoy the show, no strings attached!

Natalie S.

Northeastern

I'm Natalie! I am double majoring in Economics and Psychology at Northeastern University. I like to play piano, watch T.V., paint, draw, read, write, and dance! I speak fluent Spanish as my family is from Argentina and Uruguay, and I have a wonderful twin sister whom I absolutely love.
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!