photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Problem with Acknowledging Problematic Celebrities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Last week, Lorde got herself into some trouble after posting a picture of her porcelain footed bathtub along with the infamous Whitney Houston lyric, “and I will always love you.” Many saw this post as a cute declaration of love for baths, but others saw her post as a tasteless comment. For those who don’t know, Whitney Houston died from accidentally drowning in a hotel bathtub in 2012. Whitney Houston constantly struggled with drug abuse and it is speculated that the icon’s death was partially due to a recent relapse into cocaine abuse.

Lorde hadn’t realized the connection between her quote and the singer’s death and promptly deleted the post then apologized, but before the wrath of the internet came rushing down on to her. The pattern of internet rage is nothing new. In fact, it’s almost expected. Every time a notable person slightly missteps, they’re met with a whirlwind of angry tweets, memes, think pieces, and petitions, only for the hoopla to subside after the target offers a public apology.

It’s been said time and time again that people are way too sensitive. It’s true that nowadays people are held to a higher standard of political correctness and sensitivity conservation than what was observed in the past. But, as people long for a time when the social climate wasn’t as PC as it is today, we have to remember what the past wasn’t always better. Behind every unspoken rule of political correctness, there is a small demographic whose dignity is being preserved by it. Becoming a society where we are more tolerant to each other’s differences, encourages that we also become more less-tolerant of behaviors what would be offensive to that group of people. Part of being a progressive individual comes the responsibility of holding ourselves and others accountable for their behaviors and educating others on the perils of their jokes or tasteless comments. However, it is still to be decided what behavior is punishable and when behaviors should be forgiven.

In Lorde’s case, it is understandable that the picture and caption paired together was an oversight and yet she still apologized. Nonetheless, not all instances are this cut and dry. Logan Paul, James Charles, Azealia Banks, Lena Dunham, Kodak Black, and even Jennifer Lawrence  are just a few examples of celebrities practicing problematic behaviors either unknowingly or in an attempt to be “edgy.” In fact, there are countless instances of celebrities crossing line of political correctness and dissenting into problematic behavior that have occurred in the past couple years. In each case, regardless of the severity, the public has reacted by raining hellfire until an apologize is offered. The process of calling someone out and then recoiling has remained the same, but the motives for being called out and motivation to issue an apology has changed.

Obviously, when a person has thousands of angry tweets being hurled at them, their relativity massively increases. As does their need to protect their brand. It is easy to see how stirring up controversy can be seen as an easy way for a celebrity to ensure people are talking about them again. Even though their reputation may be temporarily tarnished, it will all be forgiven with an apology. Although some of these apologies may be orchestrated by the celeb’s management, and therefore may not be entirely sincere. This further begs the question whether or not problematic behavior should be continued to be ferociously called out, or should be recognized for what it is; potential opportunities to boost relativity, honest lapses of judgment, or teachable moments? Not every wrong move deserves to be harshly criticized, and making offensive comments to promote personal gain definitely should not be acknowledge. Yet, how can we allow for opportunities to start conversations about promoting tolerance fall to the wayside?

Miquela Gorham is a lover of dogs and chai tea enthusiast. She considers herself to an advocate for women's rights and prides herself on being both forbearing and pragmatic. Miquela is currently a senior at New Mexico State University majoring in Sociology with a supplementary major in Law and Society.
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.