diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Safe During a Night Out in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

College is the perfect time to explore new interests, make new friends and push our comfort zones. For some of us, this may include going on Tinder dates or even mingling with strangers at a club or a bar. Whatever the case, we want to make sure that every woman feels safe having fun. Before you go out, read through these tips to help you plan your night.

Tell a friend where you are going and who you are going with.

This rule is exceptionally important if you are meeting up with a stranger, or someone you’ve just met. Having another person know your plans for the night can help in emergency situations. Let’s say things take a turn for the worst—letting your date know that someone else is aware of your whereabouts can be a tool to keep danger at bay. Need to get out of a kiss you don’t want to partake in? Your roommate’s check-in phone call could be your golden ticket out. For extra precaution, share your phone location with a few friends, so they can check on you discretely. 

Make your intentions known.

One of the best ways to avoid awkward dating situations is letting your date know where you want the night to go. If you know off the bat that sleepovers are off limits, let them know at dinner. Simply saying that you want to strictly go on a date without having to bring things back to the bedroom is completely okay. Knowing how to honor your own needs and values is part of being an adult, not something to be ashamed of. Likewise, if you’re looking for a one-night type of date, then don’t let anyone feel like there is anything to be ashamed of. If you’re not sure of your intentions yet, that’s okay! Don’t feel pressured to make any decision you’re not ready to make yet, and do what intuitively feels the safest. 

Be aware of your friends.

Sometimes we can get caught up with the wrong people who only have their best interest in mind. When going out for the night, make sure you surround yourself with friends who will have your back. If they’re the type of person who ditches you at the end of the night to go home with someone else, they might not care about your safety or needs. It’s always better to stay in for the night than to go out with someone who you feel won’t keep you safe.

Don’t be afraid to use your “b*tch face.”

Rejecting unwanted attention is an art form to be practiced. If you’re in the club and a creep comes up to you, it’s good practice to say “no” with a serious face. At times, we may want to spare someone’s feelings, but that can come back to haunt us. Unwanted attention should be shut down immediately with no mixed signals. You don’t want behaviors to escalate.

Watch your drink.

Always be aware of your drink when you go to a party or out to a club. You never know which sleaze may slip an unwanted substance in your drink. This could lead to date rape and other dangerous scenarios. If you go to the bathroom, ask your trustworthy friend(s) to watch over your refreshment. Pro tip: hold your drink with your hand covering the top of the cup so that it is covered at all times. 

Plan your ride home:

Though your friend’s studio apartment is the cutest, it might not be situated in the safest area. When making the trip back home, be sure to either ride the subway or split an Uber with your friends. Communicating with your entire group when you make it home safe and sound is always a good safety measure to be taken.

Safety Apps, Keys, & Rape Whistles:

There are tools that can help you in situations where you might feel scared or at risk walking home. One safety application is the Companion app. It’s great for people who live in New York City, where walking is simply a way of life. The app allows you to have an accompanied walk with selected “companions” of your choosing. If it detects certain changes in behavior, it will ask you if you want to call the police.

Apps like this can be comforting, but it is important to know some self-defense mechanisms. One way to defend yourself from immediate danger is to carry a rape whistle on your keychain. Do not be afraid to use this, for it is a tool to help everyone around you be safer.

Always be alert of your surroundings. When walking home, do not look down at your phone for long periods of time. This might make you appear distracted, and ultimately, turn make someone believe you could be a target. And if you ever feel unsafe, do not hesitate. Please, call 911. 

[Feature Image By Pexels]

Amanda Miller

St. Andrews

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com