The Hottest Spots to Hang Out(Side) This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

New York is one of two things in the summer – euphoric or utterly miserable. Those of you who’ve lived here long enough know exactly what I’m talking about.

For those of you who are new, let me put it this way – New York is a lovely place, filled with lovely people. However, in the summer this cultural mecca can quickly transform from an oasis into Satan’s lair. It gets hot, sticky, and a tad bit scented (to put it lightly), at times. Don’t freak out just yet, though. There’s still a way to combat the heat – through rooftop bars, beer gardens, and seasonal happy hour specials.

To help you out and save you from having to type “bar near me” in your phone’s Google search bar, we’ve compiled a list of these magical getaways.

Mel’s Burger Bar

Mel’s Burger Bar (located at 1450 Second Avenue) will have outdoor games (yes, corn hole) to complement their new happy hours. Happy Hour includes 12 p.m. – 7 p.m. BOGO Beer (all 50 beers included), 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. $2 off wine, $4.50 well drinks, and 1/2 off select appetizers.

LaRina Pastificio & Vino

LaRina’s (located at 387 Myrtle Avenue) is a quaint Italian restaurant with a charming, checkered tile back patio covered in vines. Come in and have homemade pasta for lunch or dinner (OR) visit LaRina for an amazing brunch.

The Attic Rooftop

Attic (located at W. 48th Street) is 5,000 square feet of nightclub realness serving the best views in Manhattan. For just $28 you and a few friends can share seven items while you sip prosecco and gossip. And if that’s not a nice little Saturday, I don’t know what is.  

Aurora

Aurora (located at 70 Grand Street) is literally the backyard of your dreams. Green ivy, homemade Italian food, and a Pompelmo make for an amazing day (especially if the breeze is blowing just right).

Hudson Terrace

The Hudson Terrace (located at 621 W. 46th Street), like Attic, is a great place to view Manhattan in a new light. With three additional spaces including The Garden Terrace and The Salon, it’s the ideal spot to hang out and have a few drinks.

[Feature Image by Pexels]

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.