you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

4 Ways to Make Friends Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

One of the most amazing perks of going to a school in the city is that your campus isn’t the only campus around. In New York City alone, there are almost 600,000 (yes, you read that number right) college students. That’s A LOT. With that in mind, remember that your college is not the only place to make friends, no matter how big or small it might be. Branching out of your neighborhood and/or comfort zone could allow for tremendous networking opportunities, as well as simply personal fulfillment through friendship, which in and of itself is always worthwhile. 

It’s so important to meet people who have different lifestyles, backgrounds, and academic interests than you do. So, I encourage everyone to challenge themselves to at least attempt one of these strategies for enhancing your social circle. 

External Student Clubs

While there are definitely clubs specific to every college campus, there are external societies and organizations that are looking to connect students from other colleges. Whether you want to join a religious/spiritual organization’s young adult or college group, attend your closest Lean In Circle (which hosts groups specific to college students), or a nearby workshop open to students, there are literally countless opportunities to meet other people with similar interests. 

Attend Public Programs

Most colleges and universities host a nearly endless amount of public programs that are free to everyone, including students from other schools. By attending these events, you will meet students from a variety of campuses – not just the one you visit – that you can invite to get drinks or coffee after and connect with. Being on the lookout for these kinds of events could also help you network with professors from other universities, who can be a great asset from professional mentorship. 

Local Internships 

Of course over the summer, a lot of us go back home and find internships or part-time jobs there out of necessity or convenience. However, if your circumstances permit, spend the summer in the city at a large, structured internship program that is specifically designed to host students from a variety of colleges. You’ll make tons of friends that go to your neighboring schools, and these are friendships you’ll be able to carry into the next academic year, since you both live there anyway. 

Talk to People

I saved the simplest one for last because although it may look easy, this is one of the hardest things for introverts (myself included) to actually muster the courage to do. When you’re in any of the aforementioned settings, actually going up to someone and starting a meaningful conversation can seem impossible. Here’s a tip though, look for other people who are there alone- and trust me, there are always other people alone- or go with a friend who is also dedicated to meeting new people. This way, you will go into the event with the goal of approaching people and getting to know their reasoning for attending, which will make you committed to making it happen. 

[Feature Image By Unsplash]

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com