Interview with United Greek Association Board Member and Sorority Sister Becca Maccabee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

This week I sat down with Becca Maccabee, a Junior at SUNY New Paltz who is involved in Greek life on our campus. Becca allowed me to ask her some questions about her experiences here at New Paltz and within the Greek Life community.

Q: Why did you decide to attend SUNY New Paltz?

A: “From the second I stepped on the campus, as a high school junior, I got a good vibe from the school. I instantly fell in love with the campus, the town and the vibe of the school in general. I could automatically see myself fitting in here, something that didn’t happen with the other schools I looked at. One of my friends attended the school, so I visited her during the fall of my senior year of high school, and it gave me the confirmation I needed that this was the place.”

Q: What is your major?

A: “I’m a Communication Disorders, with a double minor in Deaf Studies and Theatre.”

Q: What made you choose your major?

A: “I spent a long time flip flopping through majors, figuring out what I wanted to study. I originally came into school as a psychology major on the pre-health track, I was thinking about becoming an occupational therapist. I was having a lot of difficulty with biology and had to drop out of the class. Which made me rethink my major. I knew I wanted to work with children, specifically ones of the autism spectrum. I knew that one of the most popular majors at New Paltz is Communication Disorders, so I checked it out and instantly fell in love.”

Q: What is your dream job?

A: “I want to become a Speech Pathologist and get ABA certified so I can do speech and behavioral therapy for kids on the autism spectrum.”

Q: What made you choose Greek Life?

A: “Although I always tell people I was never interested in joining a sorority, it was secretly always in the back of my mind. I always told myself that if I found the org that was right for me, then I would join. One of my friends was in Kappa Delta Phi NAS, and told me to check it out. I went to one rush event and instantly fell in love. Kappa was, and is a place where I can be myself without judgment.”

Q: What do you like about being in United Greek Association?

A: “As a member of the UGA eboard I work with other members of Greek Life on the New Paltz campus. I really learning about the other orgs that are on campus, and getting to work with all of them.”

Q: How did you hear about Her Campus?

A: “The president of my sorority had messaged us about it over the summer, asking if any of us were interested in joining. I looked into it and decided it was something that I wanted to do.”

Q: Who is your biggest hero?

A: “My mom. She’s my best friend and has been my biggest supporter since day one. She always has my back, but isn’t afraid to call me out when I’m wrong. Besides that, she’s probably the most hardworking person I know. She’s not afraid of a challenge”

Q: Any inspirational tips for others?

A: “I’m the type of person that gets overwhelmed and stressed out really easily. I constantly plan things out, and if they don’t go they way I want them to I freak out. The best advice I’ve been given is step back and take a second to relax. Sometimes we get way to caught up in things, and are not able to appreciate the good stuff until it’s gone. When I get overwhelmed, I try to take a step back and breath.”

As you can see Becca is a busy person on this campus who makes time for multiple things in her life. She actively participates in Greek Life as well as Her Campus and some other clubs on campus. Becca is very friendly and she was kind enough to allow me to interview her because I believe her to be an influential woman on our campus! Keep doing you Becca! I hope you guys can find some inspiration in her doing her thing on campus!

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.