Scarce Summer Jobs: Start Your Search Before It’s Too Late!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Want to have some extra money for the upcoming semesters? Do you need some money to pay for expenses during the summer? Most College students work summer jobs to earn some extra cash for the summer and upcoming school year. Summer jobs don’t only have to be about filling your bank account, they can be learning experiences with internships and resume builders too. Whatever you do, you should enjoy your summer work!

There are currently not a lot of job openings so you need to start looking and applying for summer jobs if you stumble upon the rare “help wanted” signs. It is a competitive work world in this economy and there are people who apply months before the summer season. The fun jobs promising priceless memories, or the ones that pay well, will likely have a lot of applicants and these applicants will have their resumes, cover letters, and interviews set. If you are looking for that perfect summer job, then you need to start looking because they will be taken fast!

How to go about looking for a summer job? 
Decide on the type of job you want by establishing a hobby you enjoy, an affiliation to your major or possible career of interest. If you like swimming, then you can apply to be a lifeguard at a local swimming pool.  If you like to write, then you can try an internship with a local newspaper or magazine. In high school, I interned at a local weekly newspaper and got to see what the editor-in-chief did like organizing a plethora of articles and balancing all of the daily tasks. You just have to ask to see if these opportunities are available and contact different places that you are interested in. Just call up some places, be personable and ask questions! Also, don’t limit yourself to one interest. You can apply for as many jobs as you want!

Don’t just settle!
If you like to draw, work with animals or study science – or whatever field of interest your Collegiette™ heart desires – try to find a full or part time job, an internship whether they are paid or unpaid, or volunteer opportunities that harbor your interests. Make sure that any summer job you fall into is something that you actually want to do. Don’t feel required to waste your summer at a job if you don’t like it, you won’t learn from it, or it won’t help you out in future endeavors.

Gain from the experience!

Be careful about thinking that you can’t learn anything from a job at just any old fast food restaurant, children’s camp, or a local swimming pool. You can learn a lot of things even if it has no connection to your major or career interest. Some things to look forward to experiencing at any job is teamwork, communication, sacrifice, time-management and managing money. You can develop well-rounded character traits that will help you when you get into the “real world.” You can develop patience, determination, and the ability to work hard and focus.  Take that summer job that may not sound as appealing as interning at ESPN. You will work and earn money as well as develop some excellent work habits. The time you spend at your summer job, whether it is related to your major or not, will serve you well in the future and provide the cash for those summer expenses our bank accounts simply can’t ignore.  

Be open minded!
If you can’t find a job that you’re interested in, don’t worry! Imagine stumbling upon your dream career after a few weeks at your summer job. Networking with people and learning a new trade or skill might set you up for a new path in your future! You might find that you have a new passion and career interest after taking a job that didn’t appeal to you on paper. Either way, you will learn perseverance, patience, and hard work. 

Be sure to apply early cause these jobs are running out quickly.  Be prepared for an interview and have your resume and cover letters ready and on-hand for your employers. Then, walk into that office with that confident Collegiette™ smile and ace the interview. BOOM! You’ll have a summer job in no time! Have a great summer, roll in the dough, rack in the cash, and have blast with the amazing opportunities that lie ahead! 

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!