The New Faces of Science: Kanisa Davidson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Name: Kanisa Davidson

Hometown: Hempstead, NY

Classification: Junior

Major: Biology and Psychology

Campus Involvement: Honors Program, RISE, MAPS, Psychology Research Club  

1. If you could live in a book, TV show, or movie, what would it be and why?

I would live in  the TV show Once Upon A Time because I love fairy tales and I could see myself as a princess on a quest to defeat the evil queen.

2.  What’s your philosophy on life?  

Namaste;  The light within me recognizes the light within you.  

3.  What’s a “perfect” day in your mind?

A perfect day in my mind is me doing some fun activity,  getting some great food,  exchange laughter and great conversation with family and friends, and catching some Zzz’s.  

4.  What’s of the funniest moments you can remember since being in college?

One of the most funniest moments I can remember is of course of a night of  my first GHOE!  Me and my friends were hanging out in the dorm and my best friend and I decided to do a slow motion running scene on onto my bed. Long story short,  she end up running into the bed frame instead of onto the bed. It was hilarious!

5.  When did you become interested in research? And what research are you currently working on?

I became interested in research ever since I was in 2nd grade and I started doing science fairs for the local museum in my area. Ever since then my passion for science grew and when I reached high school I became more interested in biomedical research. It wasn’t until I was in college when I started to actually do bench work. I started in a SEA PHAGE Lab a part of the Biology Department and am currently working in a neurobehavioral pharmacology lab looking at neuroactive steroids to reduce or reverse neurodegeneration after insult to the brain.

6.  As the biggest biomedical research conference for minority students in the United States, ABRCMS attracts thousands of students from all across the country. What was that experience like? And how did it feel winning an award?

The experience at ABRCMS was overwhelming and wonderful at the same time! It was overwhelming because you see so many schools and students who are in the same position in getting ready for their next step. It was wonderful because you had a community of support and you are around people who all have a common goal to make a contribution to science and enhance the scientific field through many different aspects.  

Winning an award was a huge surprise  to me! I was in shock and got a little teary eyed to be honest. I  felt so much gratitude for everyone who had  helped me like Mrs. Wellman,  my mentor and PI Dr. Maldonado -Devincci, and Andrea! Their support, constructive criticism, and encouragement really fueled me to make sure that  the I put my best work into making the best presentation I could give.

7.  Even with all your success, in what ways do you hold yourself back?

With all of my success I hold myself back by thinking to far into the future and  planning instead of enjoying the now. I sometimes have to remind myself that the present is a gift and  to make the best out of it!

8. What are your plans for the future? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

My plans for the future is to get my MD/PhD in some area related to rehabilitation of the brain and neuroscience. I want to focus on restoring function to those who suffer from neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric diseases, especially in the baby boomer generation. In 5 years, I see myself still in  graduate school, hopefully on track and starting a family.

9.  As demanding as the biomedical science field is, do you find it difficult trying to plan your life out at 19 and how do you maintain your composer through it all?

At 19, I do find it challenging to prepare and plan for the journey ahead, however ; I am always reminded by my mother that it is not my plan or in my control. I keep my composer through it all because I find comfort knowing that with every step I take I know it will be worth it  at some point in my life.

10.  When you leave  A&T how do you want to be remembered?

When I leave A&T I would like to be remembered as the girl who made a difference by helping the community, mentoring and inspiring those around her, and as a person who was determined to  make the best out of  her academic career at NC A&T SU.  Academics, service, friendship, and growth are important to me and  I hope I leave an impact on those lives I am able to touch.

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.