There’s No Place Like Home: The Reality of Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Starting college can be a bittersweet experience. As we begin this new chapter in our lives, we are forced to say goodbye to our loved ones. The stress of balancing schoolwork and a social life, while trying to adapt to a new environment can become very stressful and lead us to miss home. Research shows that about 70% of students will experience homesickness throughout their college experience.  Some symptoms of homesickness include sadness, feelings of loneliness, feeling like you don’t belong, and the desire to be home with your friends and family. If you’re feeling homesick, just know that you’re not alone! You may not experience these feelings right away, as there are different stages one experiences through the process of adapting to a new environment.

These different stages include:

1. The Honeymoon Phase- A time of excitement and desire to create new beginnings.

2. The Shock Phase- Feelings of uncertainty, self-doubt, and loneliness.

3. Recovery Phase- One begins to accept and adapt to the new environment.

4. Independent/Autonomy Phase- A time where one begin to feel enthusiastic again and new excited to create new experiences and memories. This is a time of creativity, as you allow yourself to try new things and become open to creating new opportunities for yourself.

Personally, I was ready to get away from home and make new friends, but after settling into college and having the stress of schoolwork pile up, I began feeling homesick. Living over 700 miles away from home has definitely become difficult. I’m not even able to go home on breaks. It can be difficult not having my mom here to cheer me on as I struggle to finish my homework at two o’clock in the morning, and it is also hard not having my twin sister and best friends by my side to share this experience with. It’s important to remember that these feelings are temporary, and that you’ll soon be reunited with your family and friends (including your furry ones)!

Here are some ways to cope:

• Surround yourself with friends! Friends are a great source for comfort and distraction from the feeling of loneliness.

• Make yourself feel at home- Put pictures up of your friends and family! This is a great way to always have them by your side. It can also help you remember the great memories you share with them

• Treat yo’ self- Do something you love with your friends! Go out for ice cream or treat yourself to a spa night! Remember, it is also okay to spend time by yourself. Watching Netflix, napping, and listening to music are also great ways to get your mind off of things.

• Call home! This has become a daily part of my routine.This is certainly not a sign of weakness, but rather a way to check-in and assure your family that you’re doing okay. Even it’s just a five to ten minute conversation with my mom talking about what I had for lunch or what I learned in class, it can definitely provide a sense of comfort and reassurance. When in doubt, call home! Trust me, you won’t regret it!

• Seek out help from counseling services- They’re there for a reason, and they can definitely help you cope with your emotions.

Lastly, keep an open mind! Remember, these feelings are temporary and soon, you’ll be reunited with your loved ones. It only gets better from here!

Sources:

https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/counselling/informationpages/homesickness/

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/70/fd/d970fd32da1873cc62dac0df3cfc46e4.jpg

Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.