Religious and Spiritual College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Life in college, no doubt, is a busy one that bounces between academics, work, and social life.  Even with organization and planning of days, students are often stressed and overwhelmed.  In order to overcome these stressful days, it is crucial for every college student to understand ways to find peace and calmness in their busy days.

The popular methods of de-stressing for most involve exercise – especially cardio workouts.  However, many students across campus have overlooked one of the most effective methods of de-stressing.  The spiritual and religious life organizations have been undermined due to the unpopularity of religious interests.  Even though many students come from various religious backgrounds, they choose not to participate in religious life in order to focus on their academic careers.

While understandably, there are many nonreligious students,but religious organizations on campus can be beneficial and often, they offer more than studying holy books.  For example, meditation can de-stress by calming the body and mind.  A meditation session normally takes half an hour to 45 minutes and it is precious time for a student to devote their time to themselves.  It is an experience that offers an escape from the routine of daily life.

Different worship services are also a great way to devote time to escape from a busy lifestyle.  Attending mass or prayer can shift a focus from schoolwork to oneself and God.  Often times, there are students who attend services on a weekly basis and there is a community of peers that can help de-stress through creating conversations outside of academia. 

If devoting an hour a week for relaxing is too much time out of the busy schedule, even a walk in the chapel or a place of worship can help relaxation.  Such places tend to be serene and calm, where one can quietly sit and think without interruption.  Being a part of the religious and spiritual life at college is a great way to find peace in busy times and this aspect of de-stressing should not be overlooked.  Students should reap the benefits of such organizations on campuses and find a welcoming community that they can turn to in times of need.

View the Mount Holyoke Religious and Spiritual Life page here: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/religiouslife/

Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.
Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.