MoHo Top Ten Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Summer is coming! What plans do you have for the four-month freedom? Besides taking a breath after a semester of academic marathon, you might want to start building your career by doing an internship related to your interests. For first-years, a professional experience “in the field” can be crucial to future career-related decisions, and improve communication skills; for elder MoHo folks, an internship provides important networking opportunities and can sometimes be a stepping stone for a job after graduation.

In the season of internship hunting, it’s probably hard to find an ideal one in a ton of postings. Some career websites like Vault.com provide popular internship listings based on interns’ feedback. It’s nice that they save many students a nap session in the whirlwind of midterms and papers, but if you take a closer look, nine out of ten are business and finance related. What about us Art History and Neuroscience majors? Don’t worry! Our Career Development Center sends newsletters of well-selected internship opportunities at least once a month in the semester. They definitely present positions in a greater variety of industries. The most recent “Top Ten Internships” are:

1. Museum of Science in Boston – Summer Internship (LyonNet #27909) (May/June-August)

It provides a wide range of opportunities for different majors including Biology, Computer Science, English and Communications. Mainly focusing on the education of young people in the Museum, it also welcomes students to help with the event organizing and media publicity of the upcoming Teen Summit in Boston. If you are interested in working with young people and introducing the beauty of nature to them, you can check it out at http://www.mos.org/internships. The Museum offers more than 220 positions each year. Just be sure to apply before May 15 on LyonNet! You only need your resume on LyonNet, but if you are interested in a one particular field, you would have to apply on the website above with both cover letter and resume.

2. New Era Colorado – Democracy Fellowship (LyonNet #28180)

If you are enthusiastic about politics, civic engagement and democracy, you might want to consider this boot camp in Denver. Fellows will spend their mornings in the classroom with campaign manager and political leaders, and many of their afternoons in the local communities with voters (and they will always be on a bus!). You will learn about lobbying and policy-making in this camp. Check their website for more info: http://neweracolorado.org/democracyfellows, and apply before April 25th on LyonNet.

3. Coil Records – Marketing and Promotion Intern (LyonNet #27925) (May 25th– Aug 15th)

This is one of the cool jobs where you get to do promotion and marketing for a well-known musician. Plus, you get paid. Job duties include developing social media networking strategies, supporting live concerts and events and managing websites for Mister G. If you are interested in the music business and would like to stay in Northampton for awhile this summer (you will have to travel), this might be an ideal position for you. Submit your resume, cover letter and a writing sample to info@mistergsongs.com to Mister G’s manager Ms. Katherine Jamieson.

4. Engage Chicago – Summer Field Study Program (LyonNet #26980) (June 20th-Aug 20th)

If you want to work in a non-profit this summer, this program led by Northwestern University may be a good choice. You would be able to work in organizations like Carole Robertson Center for Learning or Legal Aid Foundation of Chicago and take courses in various subjects like social justice and policy. But just remember, for optional special concentration like Health & Medicine and Law & Advocacy, you will need to answer some extra questions on the application. Apply before April 4th on their website Apply for Engage Chicago. $250 deposit is required after being admitted to the program for housing and tuition.

5. UPAVIM – After School Program Coordinator (LyonNet #25193) (4 months to 1 year)

UPAVIM consists of approximately 88 women – all of them mothers and breadwinners for their families. They live in the marginalized community of La Esperanza, in Zone 12 of Guatemala City. Its mission is to empower the women of their community, giving them an opportunity to improve the quality of life, for themselves and for their families. This is an unpaid teaching job with children from kindergarten to 6th grade in Guatemala City. You will help underprivileged kids with their learning. Intermediate Spanish required. Apply before Sept. 28th on LyonNet.

6. The Wang Post – Journalism Internship (LyonNet #25721)

If you are interested in developing a career in Asian languages and cultures and also journalism, this can be your takeoff platform. The Wang Post is a relatively new online publication based in New York City where people write about and discuss the latest Asian news. Check out their website http://thewangpost.com/. Apply before April 30th on LyonNet.

7.  NYU Neuroscience Institute – Research Technician (LyonNet #27735) (1-2 years)

This internship provides R&D opportunities for seniors and recent alums who would like to pursue a graduate degree in areas include physiology, genetics, cognition & behavior, molecular biology, developmental biology and systems neuroscience. For prospective Neuroscience and Behavior majors, here is information of their training programs NYU Neuroscience Training Program. Apply before April 11th directly. Send a single PDF including a one page statement of interest, a CV, and an academic transcript, plus two reference letters sent separately on your behalf to: NYURESEARCH@NYUMC.ORG.

8. Mastercard – Software Engineering Intern (LyonNet #27662) (Jun 2-Aug 8)

Needless to introduce MasterCard, this internship offers a platform for MoHo IT women. And since it’s a big company, a lot of past interns wrote reviews here MasterCard Internship Reviews, if you need to collect more data.  Apply before April 10th on LyonNet.

9. National Research Center for Women and Families – Health Research, Health Policy and Health Communications (LyonNet #26575) (at least 12 weeks)

This internship is open to majors from Neuroscience and Biochemistry to Classics Studies. Interns will gain experience in health research, health communications, and health policy. They will also attend hearings, Capitol Hill briefings, and coalition meetings of nonprofit organizations, and have opportunities to lobby on Capitol Hill. Check their websites for more information: http://center4research.org/ and www.stopcancerfund.org. Apply before Dec. 16th on LyonNet.

10. American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research – Russian Studies/Critical Threats Project (LyonNet #28123) (3 months)

This joint project between the Russian Studies Department and the Critical Threats Project tracks the emerging Islamist threat in the Former Soviet Union, specifically in the North Caucasus, Tatarstan, and Central Asia. Interns will be responsible for daily tracking and monitoring of ongoing developments in the region and conducting independent research on relevant militant groups’ activity, state-to-state security situations, military operations and political developments and figures. Reading fluency in Russian required. Apply here before May 31st.

(Internship descriptions can be found on LyonNet, Mount Holyoke College CDC page, organizations’ websites and also companies’ LinkedIn pages. Internship reviews can be found on Glassdoor.com and Vault.com. All the information above is selected from said sources and then re-organized.)

If your heart flips a little bit after reading this, it’s time to take action. And the good news is, this year our school is funding every unpaid (or low-paid) internship! (More information here) Get help from CDC and Alumnae Association on LinkedIn as you start your application. I hope the information above could save the busy MoHos some time for resume and cover letter building. Good luck and have a wonderful internship experience!

Other opportunities you don’t want to miss:MHC International Internship Program: MHC IIPMcCulloch Center Tumblr: http://mccullochcenter.tumblr.com/Professional Development Programs: https://www.mtholyoke.edu/cdc/summer

Jing Huang

Mt Holyoke

Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.