Meet Anna!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The stylish campus cutie speaks on the impact of her West Coast upbringing. 

Anna Hobbs

Class Year: 2016

Hometown: San Diego, CA

What she’s known for: Unique sense of style

You grew up in various places.  How did the local culture of each location influence your style?

I was born in North Carolina and spent my childhood across the globe.  I attended school in Singapore for some time, but went to a school with many foreigners.  I’ve lived in San Diego for the last 10 years of my life, so I easily call Southern California home these days.  I don’t remember much of life in Asia, or really life outside of San Diego.  In San Diego and the Southern California region, there’s definitely an emphasis on “looser” and skimpier clothing- you’re not frowned upon for wearing short shorts and a tank top.  Here, you might be.

Tell us more about the fashion and culture in San Diego. 

Well, I grew up going to a private school near the beach.  My friends and I would hangout near the water pretty frequently, so we’d wear beach-friendly clothes all year round.  The weather in San Diego is generally fairly warm, so it allows for everyone to dress in shorts and a tee shirt in December.  Brandy Melville is almost like a uniform!  During the summer, a lot of girls dress in the same articles of clothing from that store.  Also, a handful of the moms I knew got plastic surgery, and I didn’t really think much of it until I moved out East for college.  It was kind of strange for me initially- some friends I knew really stigmatized it [plastic surgery] but growing up in Southern California, I got used to it.  A lot of people I knew were wealthy and could afford touch-ups.   There are 50 year olds who look 25- they’re everywhere. 

How would you compare and contrast the style of your West Coast friends to Mount Holyoke students?

Like I said earlier, my West Coast friends are pretty laid-back and don’t hesitate to wear shorter tops and shorts, for example.  I definitely think New England is a bit more preppy overall- white polos, boat shoes and khaki pants are everywhere.  I’d say students here key in on this, and dress a bit more conservatively.  I definitely don’t think people dress similarly, though.  There are so many different styles represented, since our school is so diverse.  Everyone brings something new to the table, which is always interesting. 

Do you think the idea of “preppy” transcends clothing? 

Most definitely!  Preppy is more than just what you wear- it’s a mindset.  I think most would associate elite New England schools like Amherst with preppy culture, but the style represents certain values.  In many ways, it’s great, actually- the idea of getting a high-quality education and maintaining a clean-cut image are core preppy values.  The idea of coming from money and connections is also a part of it, but that’s not as important as having a wholesome image overall.  It’s very classy, I would say.

Most people think of preppy culture as a WASP-y, exclusive East Coast phenomenon.  Having gone to an elite private school in San Diego, do you think a prep-like mindset existed there too?

Of course!  Many of my peers ended up at great schools- some in California, others at colleges across the nation.  I have a friend at UC Davis and know others at places like Harvard, Wesleyan and Boston College.  Like I briefly mentioned earlier, a lot of families were pretty wealthy, so there was an exclusive vibe to my school.  People had more disposable income for things like plastic surgery, expensive clothes and great schools, so that’s how the preppy vibe manifested itself in San Diego.   

How would you compare the culture of San Diego to Los Angeles? 

I’d say both places are very similar, but Los Angeles is a lot more bustling and sprawling.  It’s a major city with tons of attractions, so it’s a bit more urban.  San Diego has a nice coastal, laid-back feel with more homogeneity.  I still love Los Angeles though- I go hiking there every so often and typical Southern California fashion comes out of there.  Brandy Melville, for example, is partially based on the culture of Los Angeles.  I go to Los Angeles when I need an escape from San Diego- sometimes it can get a wee bit boring. 

How would you describe or define your style?

I wouldn’t really categorize my style in any way, really.  I definitely like to dress casually and don’t follow any brands religiously.  If I like an item, I’ll buy it regardless of the label.  I don’t really define my style- it more or less reflects how I feel and what I like.   It varies- if I’m at school, I’ll typically wear long pants, close-toed shoes and a long shirt.  I like darker colors as well.  At home, though, I’ll wear the looser, spaghetti-strap tops with jean cutoffs and flip-flops.  I’d never dare do that in New England often- I would feel overexposed if I did.

What style tips can you offer other students?

Be yourself!  Your style is very personal- it should be a reflection of what you like and treasure.  It’s a cultural expression, too, but it’s not just limited to that. 

Allie Patawaran is a Mount Holyoke freshman passionate about comedy, hip-hop and gourmet eats.  A city girl at heart, adjusting to South Hadley remains a work in progress.