This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Kate Flaherty 
Age: 18 
Hometown: Acton, MA
Major: International Relations/English
Relationship Status: Happily taken

What’s your favorite movie?
Too many but probably Spirited Away or Mamma Mia. Because Spirited Away, like any Miyazaki film, has beautiful artwork, music, and complex protagonists (who are predominantly female!). One of the things I love most about the movie is Yubaba, the owner of the bathhouse, because of the presence she has. She may be unfriendly and greedy, but above all she is a powerful, intelligent businesswoman who gets things done. Mamma Mia, on the other hand, is a fun film to sing and dance along to (plus who doesn’t love Meryl Streep). It’s a good movie to watch when you’re feeling down, and the crass humor makes it all the better.

What’s your favorite TV show?
The 100 hands down. Post apocalyptic fiction has always been a fascination of mine, so this show was a definite go for me from the start. However, what stands out to me most is the characters. Throughout the two seasons thus far, there is incredible character development for every person. There is a particular emphasis on the gray areas of morals, and how there can never be just black and white. The characters need to navigate through this gray area, which is an incredible process to watch over time.

How do you like Mount Holyoke so far? Is it what you expected it to be?
I think Mount Holyoke is an awesome place to be. I really like the academics and appreciate how many resources (professors, coaches, alumnae, etc.) are available to us, in particular the alumnae network. I think it’s amazing how many Mount Holyoke people are living around the world, and how you can practically find one wherever you look. On top of that, they are more than willing to chat with you about whatever it is you want to talk about, as well as help you out in whatever way they can.

What’s your favorite class?
I like all of my classes for different reasons, but I really enjoy my first-year seminar Politics/Culture/Arts with Professor Scotto. While the class itself does not really have one particular endgoal, I really enjoy how Scotto brings up topics that may not otherwise be discussed in other classes (e.g. the necessity of trigger warnings, how far can we go with free speech, etc.). He challenges us to question both sides of an argument, and to speak our thoughts whether or not we’re sure of them. What I appreciate about this class is that there are some topics that we discuss that I have never even considered, and am too nervous to try and ask about or discuss in front of other people. This class helps me to try to develop and discuss my thoughts, as well as write them down.

How would you describe yourself in five words?
Small fluffball with no chill.

What’s your favorite animal? Why?
If I had to pick absolutely only one, probably cats. Cats just don’t care about anyone’s problems and they just do what they want, so basically if a cat loves you you are essentially the Chosen One and are blessed.

If you could be anyone in the world for one day, who would you be? Why?
Lorde because I love her hair and I love her singing; she just seems like such a chill person and I wish I had her talent. I also want her eyeliner game.

If you were to be a Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream, which would you be? Why?
Americone Dream, because I am the American Dream.

What’s your favorite hot and/or cold beverage?
Tea is hands down a favorite hot beverage of mine. I don’t have any specific tea that’s a favorite, but I do have a preference for herbal teas. It depends on the day though; some days might be a black tea day and others might be a green tea day.

What’s your favorite meal of the day? Why?
Breakfast. You can eat as much as you want first thing in the morning and you can work it off during the day if you want. Also pancakes, sausage, and bacon exist with breakfast, as well as cereal. Not to say that these things can’t be eaten at any other time of day, but seriously. 

What are three things not many people know about you?
I raised a salamander, I had straight hair when I was little, and in 6th grade I was so in love with Skandar Keynes that I wore a ring on my ring finger to symbolize our spiritual marriage. 

What is the highlight of your life?
It’s a tie between good food, good tea, and my boyfriend.

What are you thankful for?
Books, pens, and empty journals!

My name is Victoria and I am a singer/songwriter and physics enthusiast from Pleasantville, NY. I am a first year currently studying Music and Physics at Mount Holyoke College. I run for the Cross Country and Track team, and I am a big proponent of Halloween, Harry Potter, music, tea, and art.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.