Health and Happiness Booster for February 14th, 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Commit to loving better:

Today in honor of the day devoted to love, take the love pledge: “I open to more love today, more love of myself and those I meet in my day. I commit to giving without worry about receiving.” The notice what changes in your life as a consequence.

• M. J. Ryan (author of Attitudes of Gratitude)

It has frequently been said on campus that, “just a simple act of kindness goes a long way.” Sometimes I forget how important this phrase is. The feeling of love and devotion can be a really great and a really scary thing. Whether because the feeling of having them is uncomfortable due to it’s unfamiliarity or the fact that you may not receive the same treatment if you choose to give your love to someone. What ever the case may be, Valentine’s Day is that day for love. It’s the day, as Ryan said, to love yourself and those you meet. It is the day to totally be selfless in action, words, and deeds. Everything positive that you feel, share it with another person.

There is something greater than public recognition for personal philanthropy. If you like that top, tell her. If those jeans are cool, let him know. If you felt as if you would hate your schedule without this professor teaching this particular course, shout it out. Making whoever is around you feel happy, carefree, and appreciated does something warm and soothing to the soul.

Compassion is an emotion capable to be felt and reciprocated by anyone on Earth.

You do not have to join the peace corp, you do not have to give to the homeless everyday of your life, you do not have to give up your last piece of bread to remain hungry for days, but you can be nice.

Niceness is something we all love, but can also be something difficult to consciously convey at times. If we are having bad day, if we had a bad dream, if we were rubbed the wrong way, all of these things can constitute the opposite feeling of being nice. Today though, on this wonderful day of love, whether you are single, taken, doesn’t give a crap, or are somewhere in between… Just give a little love.

A little love can go a looooong way.

-Iyanna James-Stephenson

Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.