Food in the Valley: Dessert Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As lucky as we are to have great food options here at Mount Holyoke, I’m sure it’s safe to assume that all of us have the occasional (or frequent…) urge to get off campus and explore other dining options in the area. Thankfully, the Pioneer Valley has a great deal to offer our rumbling tummies that can help us escape the dining halls. Here are some of the gems I’ve encountered over the past few years in the Valley. It’s hard to narrow the list down since there are so many good eats to be had! Remember, I keep a college budget in mind… but I have included a few suggestions for the joyful occasions when your parents are in town to treat you.

Herrell’s (Northampton): Can it even be described in words? It’s the best ice cream I’ve ever had. Expensive, yes, and cash only, but it has to be done. It’s what your uterus needs once a month, whether you admit it or not.

GoBerry (Amherst/Northampton): FROYO!!!! It’s so good and actually kind of good for you! Some people don’t like the slightly sharp taste, however. But pack it full of fruit and it’ll be sweet and healthy. Unless you pack it full of Oreos and Reese’s Pieces, instead. Heavenly.

Ben and Bill’s Chocolate Emporium (Northampton): B&B’s never disappoints. You can find homemade candies, fudge, chocolates, assorted snacks, and ice cream here, and it’s all so good. This is the kind of place where you walk into the shop, take a deep breath, and immediately start salivating. It literally smells like chocolates, and it’s just so so right in every way. Definitely worth a visit, even if just to see all the amazing creations. Hint: their seasonal items are the way to go. 

Food in the Valley is an ongoing series of blog posts. Next week: Brunch/hangover food!

A junior at Mount Holyoke College, Madeline is majoring in English with a minor in Art History. Currently she is serving as an editor for the MH News, as well as Social Chair for the class of 2012. Her interests include art, traveling, competitive sports, writing, reading, animals of all kinds, and spending as much time with her friends as possible. Her goals include publishing her fiction, and seeing and writing about as much of the world as possible.