First Year Impressions: Why the Yellow Sphinx?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Tradition at Mount Holyoke College dictates that all classes have their own designated animal and color. Of course, this emblem is proudly broadcasted on t-shirts across campus, and we represent our particular class pride as proudly as if it were one of the houses in Harry Potter (I see you, Potter fans!).

Since Mount Holyoke as a whole is represented by blue and white and our mascot is a Lyon, it’s easy to see how students, especially first years, might be confused. But why the yellow sphinx? It’s actually not random at all. During the early 1900’s, there were a series of votes to determine the animal and color for each class year. Students in 1909 made the final decision: classes that graduate in an even numbered year would be the Pegasus and the Lion, and their colors would be red and blue. The odd year classes would be assigned the Griffin and the Sphinx with green and yellow as their colors. As you all know,we frist years are the class of 2015. Is 15 an odd number? Yes? Then it all makes sense.

This tradition has been around for more than 100 years and there are many impressive yellow sphinx alums out there in the world, just as proud as you are of their Mount Holyoke roots. It’s something that connects us, no matter our age; it’s a certain pride that we share. Here are two challenges for you:

• Find an alumni that it also a Yellow Sphinx (it should be easy… we do have a Mount Holyoke Alumnae Association) and ask about their experiences as a yellow sphinx or how the school how the school has evolved since they graduated.
  • Stand tall, be proud, and wear that yellow with an ever brighter smile.

Oh, and remember, first-years!: When in the library, ALWAYS walk up the staircase on the side of the atrium that hosts your class flag. Don’t ever choose the other side. Campus legends say walking on the wrong side of the staircase will result in not graduating (dun,dun,dunnnn,). Oh, THE HORROR!

CLASS OF 2015- WE ARE THE YELLOW SPHINX! 

A junior at Mount Holyoke College, Madeline is majoring in English with a minor in Art History. Currently she is serving as an editor for the MH News, as well as Social Chair for the class of 2012. Her interests include art, traveling, competitive sports, writing, reading, animals of all kinds, and spending as much time with her friends as possible. Her goals include publishing her fiction, and seeing and writing about as much of the world as possible.