9 Times Barack Obama Gave Us Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

When I woke up six days ago, the first thing I did was check my phone. As usual, I went through all of my social media apps, seeing if anything interesting happened overnight. I didn’t find anything on Instagram or Facebook, but then I went to Twitter and saw that my feed was covered in news about a mass shooting in Las Vegas. I immediately clicked on different news articles, trying to obtain all of the information about the attack. What surprised me the most? It’s the largest massacre in modern U.S. history.  Watching the live footage of the gunshots going off during the music festival made my heart ache. Every time there’s a mass shooting in the world, whether it’s Sandy Hook, Pulse Nightclub, or Paris, I hope that things will get better. But each time, they only get worse.

I’m sure there are some people on campus who are affected by the shooting in Vegas and are having trouble comprehending what happened. In hopes of lifting your spirits, for this week I thought I would list some quotes about persistence and hope from former President Barack Obama that I think will help the country heal at a time like this.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

Even if I was not a supporter of Barack Obama, I think many people can agree he is one of the most inspiring people in the world. While he was President, he was committed to making the United States a better place for everyone– regardless of whether or not his changes were made. I hope reading these quotes from the former President made you feel a bit more optimistic. I know they lifted my spirits greatly!

Obama Out GIF

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

ABOUT ME Name: Olivia Hobert Pronouns: She/Her/Hers Age: 20 Birthday: March 6 Astrological Sign: Pisces College/Year: Mount Holyoke College 2020 Major: Psychology & Education Hometown: Framingham, MA Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Photography
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.