19 Stages of A Catastrophic Romance As Told By Beyonce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Some of us have stories about failed romances with people that we thought we couldn’t live without. After looking back at the relationship you realize it was a rollercoaster ride, which made you cycle through way too many emotions in just a few short weeks. Beyonce so well breaks down these stages in her lyrics, so let’s take a look at the stages of falling in and out of love as told by the queen Bey.

1. Flawless

It all begins when you’re getting ready to go out with friends, and you’ve got to admit that you look BOMB! Who is that sexy goddess in the mirror? You look absolutely flawless! You’re ready to have an amazing time at this party with your best buds.

“I woke up like this, I woke up like this

We flawless, ladies tell ’em

Say, I look so good tonight”                                                                                                                  

2. Upgrade You

And then you see that cute guy or girl, that gorgeous person across the room gazing at you, and you know that you would make a great pair. They would be lucky to have a chance with you because you’re a boss.

“Unless you’re flawless

Then ya dynasty ain’t complete without a chief like me 

Partner let me upgrade you”                                                                                                 

3. A Woman Like Me

You’re trying to figure out whether they are really looking at you or if there’s something on your face. “Oh, sh*t there’s something on my face right?” But they do kinda look interested, right? So many questions are running through your head. Are we compatible? Am I their type?

“Do you think you could fall for a woman like me

Do you think that I could be the girl of your dreams”                                                                                                      

4. Love On Top

So you had a great conversation and you exchange numbers and set up a date. You’re so excited because you think you felt a real connection. You’ve had a smile plastered on your face ever since because you can’t contain your eagerness. You’ve heard a couple of “don’t get ahead of yourselfs”, but you already know that.

“Now everybody asks me why I’m smiling out from ear to ear (They say love hurts)

But I know (It’s gonna take a little work)”                                                                      

5. Halo

You’ve been on a few dates and you’re really beginning to like this person. You’ve let your guard down and let them get to know more of who you really are. It’s scary but also invigorating to allow yourself to be vulnerable with them, and you feel that it’s the right move as you get closer to them.

“Remember those walls I built?

Well, baby they’re tumbling down

And they didn’t even put up a fight

They didn’t even make a sound”                                                    

6. End Of Time

You fall for them. Hard. You can’t imagine your world without them because your love will last forever, won’t it?

“I will love you until the end of time

I’ll be your baby

Now promise not to let you go

Love you like crazy

Now say you’ll never let me go”                                              

7. XO

Nobody really understands your love. Your friends support you, of course, but they can’t truly understand where you’re coming from.

“Nobody sees what we see

They’re just hopelessly gazing”                                                                                                                                                                            

8. 1+1

When you’ve had a tough day or need a shoulder for support, they’re there for you. They’re a safe space where you can curl up into a ball and just be held. They always know how to make you feel ten times better.

“When my days look low

Pull me in close and don’t let me go

So when the world’s at war

Let our love heal us all”                                                                                    

9. Bonnie & Clyde

You’re definitely going to be together forever. You couldn’t be closer and you have each others’ backs through thick and thin. Nothing can ever come between the two of you…until something does.

“Down to ride ’til the very end, it’s me and my [boyfriend/girlfriend]

Nobody or nothing will ever come between us”                                                                                                        

10. Jealous

You have a huge fight, the kind that’s hard to recover from. You want them to see your side of the argument, where you’re coming from, and how you feel. You can tell that something is off – they’re keeping something big from you.

“I wish that you were me

So you could feel this feeling

I never broke one promise

And I know when you’re not honest”                                                                            

11. I Care

They completely disregard how you’re feeling and don’t seem to really care how hurt you really are in their anger. You never thought they could be this cold, especially towards you. And you start to think those sweeping proclamations of love were all for show. Or maybe it wasn’t really love for them.

“I told you how you hurt me, baby

But you don’t care

What happened to our trust?

Now you just givin’ up

You used to be so in love

Now you don’t care no more”    

12. Ring The Alarm

It’s so hard to let go of the perfect picture you had for the relationship, but you’ve come to terms with the fact that it isn’t working anymore.   

“This is taking a toll, the way the story unfolds

Not the picture perfect movie everyone would’ve saw”                                                                                                            

13. Scared of Lonely

You try one last time to fight to keep the relationship going, but it’s a one-sided battle. You feel so alone, and you can’t go on fighting for someone who won’t fight for you. So you end it.  

“I’m in this fight, and I’m swinging and my arms are getting tired

I’m trying to beat this emptiness but I’m running out of time

I’m scared of lonely”                                  

14. Irreplaceable

You tell them that you’re done and that you can’t be together anymore. They don’t respond well. They weren’t expecting it even though things have been rocky. They try to convince you into thinking that you’re making a huge mistake, but you know you’re not.

“Standing in the front yard

Tellin’ me, how I’m such a fool

Talkin’ ’bout, I’ll never ever find [someone] like you

You got me twisted”                                                        

15. Best Thing I Never Had

Their reaction to the breakup just further confirms that they weren’t right for you. You start to think that maybe it was actually a blessing in disguise that you ended the relationship now, before you got deeper into it.

“Thank God you blew it, I thank God I dodged the bullet

I’m so over you, so baby good lookin’ out

I know you want me back

It’s time to face the facts, that I’m the one that’s got away

Lord knows that it would take another place, another time, another world, another life

Thank God I found the good in goodbye”                            

16. Broken-Hearted Girl

Even though logically you know you should be over it and forget about them, you still have to admit (only to yourself, of course) that you miss them. And maybe you question your decision a couple hundred times, but in the end you know you did the right thing.

“You’re everything I thought you never were

And nothing like I thought you could have been

But still you live inside of me, so tell me how is that?”                                

17. Me, Myself & I

You realize that you don’t need a significant other to be happy. You were happy by yourself before them and you will be again. You make a vow to take care of yourself and to treat yourself well. You are your own best friend.

“Cuz I realized I got me myself and I, that’s all I got in the end

That’s what I found out

And it ain’t no need to cry

I took a vow that from now on, I’m gonna be my own best friend”                                                                                                                                                                        

18. Single Ladies

You’re having fun doing you and doing what makes you happy, because life is way too short to dwell on the past.

“Up in the club, we just broke up

I’m doing my own little thing”                                                                                                                                                                      

19. Feeling Myself

Plus you have great friends and your kickin’ confidence, what else could you possibly need?

“I’m feelin’ my, feelin’ myself

I’m feelin’ myself, I’m feelin’ my, feelin’ my, feelin’ myself”                                                                                                                                                                                   

Sources: Cover

Deborah Fashole-Luke is a Mount Holyoke College graduate who majored is Psychology with a minor in English. She is pleased to have served as Her Campus Mt. Holyoke's former co-Campus Correspondent and co-President from 2015 to 2018. In her spare time Deborah enjoys reading, baking, playing football (soccer), listening to good music, and watching movies. She also loves spending time with family and friends!