We Rise by Lifting Others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We live in a generation where “caring” is a crime. A generation where everyone wants to be cold hearted and carefree. I used to have this mentality when I was younger. I would think that being selfish is the way to go. This mentality and way of thinking did not get me far. If anything I was stagnant for awhile, and it seemed like no matter what I tried I wouldn’t get the results I wanted. 

I think it is so easy to have this mentality when no one has impacted your life. When no one looks out for you or acts as your big brother you decide to do the same. The thing is deep down you WISH someone would have saved you. It wasn’t until I impacted someone’s life that I realized that I could make a huge difference to someone else. 

The feeling you get when you know you’ve made a difference to someone else. When a little girl tells you that you are their hero or an underclassman confides in you for motivation you begin to feel the reward of paying it forward. 

We may all go on and lead a life of success, we may achieve well beyond our means but what does that mean? What is the success if we aren’t paving the way for others? Everyone is so hooked on rising above their peers as if life is a huge competition. 

We rise by lifting others because the top can get lonely when everyone else is reaching for the hand you didn’t offer. No matter your faith or religious belief, positive energy comes back to those who release it. Give a helping hand!

Sources: 1

I am a Jurisprudence, Law, and Society major at Montclair State University with a minor in Leadership through civic engagement. I am also a Self Love enthusiast on Youtube ( Teegabrielle ). I am a Team Leader for Jumpstart at MSU where I work towards bridging the literature skills gap in the preschool classrooms of public schools. ByTeegabrielle@gmail.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLjtZPh5AtFmM2Ldf_h9z8g
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.