My Last Summer as a College Student: Why I’m Determined to Make It The Best One Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It just hit me a few weeks ago that this summer is my last as a student.

I’m heading into my senior year of college, and I’m now realizing that I’m not fully satisfied with how I’ve lived my life so far. This is the only time I have left to be adventurous without having to worry about a full-time job, so I decided that something had to change.

After five years of working basically every single weekend, you forget how nice it is to be off on Saturdays and Sundays. When my friends wanted to go to the beach for the weekend, I always had to miss out because of my retail job. I was tired of it and I refused to let it define my life.

Because of that, I made the bold decision to quit my part time job in order to focus on myself. Although I once loved going to work, it recently became a toxic environment and there’s no going back. It felt like they were expecting me to dedicate my entire life to my job, as if I wasn’t a college student trying to work in media one day. Just 16 hours at work a week would distract me from what I actually needed to focus on: writing and making connections with people in my industry. ​

Without that job holding me back anymore, I see so much more potential in myself now.​​

I have big goals for this summer, without a doubt. I’m determined to go on adventures every week so maybe I’ll actually make a dent in my bucket list for once. I’m going to be at the beach as much as possible, read more books than I’ve ever imagined and go on adventures with my favorite people.

Who knows what’s going to happen after graduation next summer? There’s no time to waste on anything that isn’t making you happy or improving yourself in some way. You need to start living your life and pursuing your passions right now.

I just wish I didn’t wait until the very end to realize this.

Images: 1 2

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.