Meet Valerie Duruaku!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Valerie Duruaku   

Year: Sophomore

Major: Chemistry

Hometown: Burlington, NJ

Collegiettes, meet Valerie Duruaku! Valerie is a sophomore at Montclair State University with a major in Chemistry. Valerie is well known around campus for having a laid-back chic sense of style, being able to make her own clothes/ design clothing for others, and having a great personality. Valerie tells HC Montclair more about herself when she sat down with us for a one-on-one.  

HCM: Why did you choose the major you chose?

VD: I became interested in Chemistry because I always loved the idea of being able to look microscopically into what is around us that we may not be able to see.

HCM: What are you known on campus for?

VD: I am known as the girl that sews on campus lol

HCM: What are your hobbies/ what do you do in your spare time?

VD: I love to play basketball.

HCM: What do you plan to do with you “fashion talents” in the future/ what do you hope will happen in the future?

VD: Hopefully one day when I finish school. I hope to branch out with my own brand and hopefully have my own small boutique.

HCM: How do you promote your collection?

VD: Social network has been a huge help in getting my work out there. You can check out my styles that I have done so far on Instagram @VALDURUCOLLECTION.

Valerie adds that many of her pieces have been featured in fashion shows. That is so cool!

HCM: What do you want to do when you get older/ what is the next step in your life?

VD: I would like to work with the Red Cross right after school and hopefully go to medical school.  

HCM: How will you accomplish this goal of going to medical school?

VD: I will accomplish this goal by staying focused and organized.

HCM: Who would you say is your biggest supporter? Major and fashion wise?

VD: My biggest supporters I would say are my parents. Although they both have a background in the science field and I took interest in Chemistry; they always allowed me to build my passion (in fashion) and they make sure that I do not give it up.

Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!