How to Slay Your Makeup Without Slaying Your Wallet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of year again where we are all going to be broke from now until after the holidays. The start of the semester sentences all of our summer earnings to be dwindled away due to textbooks, back to school shopping, seeing friends, and just life in general. This means that my beloved trips to Sephora will have to be put on hold because I simply cannot justify spending that kind of money on makeup right now. 

Luckily, drugstore brands are stepping up their game! From flawless foundations to high definition highlighters, your nearest CVS or Target has you covered. Brands like Wet n Wild, E.L.F, and NYX have been releasing products that cost no more than fifteen dollars but act like high-end products. To sweeten the deal, they’re all cruelty-free. 

Wet n Wild Photofocus Foundation – $5.99

This foundation is available in twenty different shades and was tested under seven different light sources to ensure that your skin is always looking its best no matter where you are. I found the coverage of the foundation to be very buildable. I definitely prefer a more sheer foundation, which I achieved, but it is also easy to get a more full-coverage look out of the product. It feels very smooth on the skin, and it did not feel heavy or cakey at all. This is a total steal!

Wet n Wild Photofocus Concealer + Corrector – $3.99

This really is a great concealer. It is full coverage, it doesn’t crease immediately after application, and keeps your skin looking very natural.

Wet n Wild Photofocus Pressed Powder – $4.99

If it wasn’t obvious before, I just really love the entire Photofocus line. This powder is great! It doesn’t give a cakey look and it doesn’t give flashback. 

Wet n Wild Coloricon Bronzer – $3.99

This product really gives you a lot for your money. It has a decent sized pan, so it will last a while (even if you’re slightly bronzer obsessed like me). 

Wet n Wild Coloricon Blush – $2.99

Yes, another Wet n Wild product. I’m a little obsessed but for good reason, okay. This blush has been a favorite of mine for quite some time now and it’s because it has amazing pigment and it’s only $2.99. How could I not be obsessed?

Wet n Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder – $4.99

Oh Honey. Wet n Wild did that. I have found it really difficult to find a decent highlighter in a drugstore, therefore all of my highlighters are from Sephora. Finally, there is a highlighter that is beautiful, shimmery, glowy, and just all around amazing for under ten dollars. Girl, get your hands on this! It will truly slay your entire existence. 

E.L.F Little Black Beauty Book Set – $10.00

This eyeshadow palette is totally on another level when compared to other eyeshadows from the drugstore. It includes forty-eight eyeshadows, a mix of matte and shimmer, two eyeshadow brushes, and a mirror. The pigment is great, and overall it is an amazing value. 

NYX Micro Brow Pencil – $10.00

Anastasia who? This brow pencil gives the perfect natural look, and it is for an amazing price. Your eyebrows and wallet will thank you later.

Wet n Wild MegaLength Mascara – $2.99

I’m very picky when it comes to my mascara. While my Marc Jacobs mascara is my absolute favorite of all time and I’m almost due for a new one, my wallet is telling me to go for a bargain. So, I picked up the $2.99 option and I’m honestly not mad about it. It takes a couple of coats to get the length and volume I desire, but the good thing is it does not just clump up. 

NYX Lip Lingerie – $7.00

A smooth, velvety, matte liquid lipstick that’s under ten dollars? Yes, please! It’s available in twenty-four different shades and lasts on your lips. It will most likely just need a touch up after eating. This is one of my favorite liquid lipsticks of all time, and I have found that it is not as drying as most of my high-end liquid lippies. 

NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray – $8.00

Top off your completely drugstore, cruelty-free makeup look with this setting spray that will allow you to get even more bang for your buck by making your makeup last all day.

Here’s to all who, like me, have a champagne taste on a beer budget. We can still slay without letting anyone see us sweat.

Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.