The Dates, Gift, Do’s and Don’ts of Valentine’s Day: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Hey fellow collegians! The fourteenth of the month is literally just around to corner and if you’re like me, you most likely forgot it was Valentine’s Day. Do not fret, I am here to give you the best advice about Valentine’s Day; this means dates, gifts, and the do’s and don’ts. If you’re tight on money like the rest of us, then look no further, I’ve got you covered. If you want to splurge a bit on your significant other, then I have some worthy ideas to hand out. Finally, for all you singletons out there, have I got the most lavish ideas to spend on yourself, because, you know what? There’s nothing wrong with showing YOU a little love too. And I have the do’s and don’ts of this holiday, which is the most important of all! All right, hold tight and buckle-up for this very knowledgible ride!

Destinations for dates:

1.     New York City! Okay, I know how cliché that many sound, but the city offers so many accommodations to every budget, so why not start there? Providing that the weather obeys, you can have a picnic in Central Park! Just swap out summer themed foods for winter themed foods; hot chocolate and warm Panini sandwiches from Europa Café are the best, so give this date idea a try! If you’re in the city and you want to enjoy a romantic dinner in Manhattan then check out NYC.com/restaurants, you’re guaranteed to find a restaurant that meets your standards, but hurry fast, restaurants will book quickly! My last idea for this romantic destination would be just taking a stroll throughout the most diverse city in the world; it’s even more fun with hot chocolate and a cupcake in hand! If you’re going into New York City for the 14th, you will find plenty of ways to make it memorable.

2.     This next destination is something that is virtually free for all – staying at home! Sometimes, it’s just relaxing to stay home, order some take-out, and watch movies. There’s absolutely no fuss, just a total stress-free atmosphere around you and your significant other. If you want to spice it up a bit, make dinner together! It’s a romantic, fun, and inexpensive way to be with each other.

3.     If you’re single, gather all of your single friends together and have a night out on the town! Don’t feel like you have to stay inside, embrace your independence and love yourself! Go the movies, have an expensive dinner, or go on a shopping spree! Whatever it may be, do it.

Gifts for Him, Her, and You:

For him: Try matching your man’s gift with whatever he’s interested in; whether it be sports, music, cars, it’s not difficult to find something that will please him. If you want to make it a little more sentimental, give him a gift that really shows you care about him. This could range from anything because it all really depends on your relationship.  A ring, for example, illustrates that you’re not afraid to show what he means to you. Nothing crazy is needed, guys! But if you’re in a long relationship, it might be unexpected and nice for you to gift a gift like this. You can find rings that are in expensive and top-quality, at Etsy.com. His favorite chocolates or candy are always a great gift to include! By the end of the evening, you’ll have your guy thanking you, not because you got him something, but because you took his interests into consideration.

For Her: Girls are the hardest to shop for on any holiday but Valentine’s Day is a little easier than most. You can start by keeping it traditional and getting her flowers with a love letter tucked away in the bouquet; that always melts a girl’s heart! If you want to stick with the flowers, go with something other than roses. Roses are the national flower of Valentine’s Day but going with another bouquet of flowers says that “you’re not like every other girl” and trust me, she will fall to the floor. If you want to get her something a little more materialistic, a necklace or a bracelet always works! It’s important to find something that she can wear all year round and with everything – try to stray away from hearts, but do embrace the infinity symbol. Ladies pay more attention to what they’re given on Valentine’s Day than any other holiday, so make it count.

For You: If you’re single then don’t leave yourself out on the fourteenth! Spoil yourself with that handbag you saw in Nordstrom or buy those hockey tickets for the upcoming game. Whatever your gender may be, don’t seclude yourself on this day. Go ahead and splurge on yourself because YOU are worth it.

As we draw an end to this article, let me leave you with the do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day.

DO embrace the day with your loved one or yourself, it’s one of the best holidays!

DON’T get hung-up over this holiday, it’s only once a year so there’s absolutely no need to stress over it.

DO make your date as special as possible, it’s important for you and your date to feel like the only people in the world.

DON’T just buy something for your significant other without putting any thought into it; trust me, they will know if you put any effort into it.

DO take your loved one’s interest when planning out a gift, a little thought goes a long way.

DON’T wear hearts! Ladies, I know this is thee symbol of Valentine’s Day but dress to the nines and stray away from that tacky shape!

DO wear red. Especially you, ladies! Red is one of the more sultry colors; it’s bound to get you noticed if you’re single or taken. After all, it was Bill Blass who said, “When in doubt, wear red”.

From my humble heart to yours, I wish you all a memorable and joyful Valentine’s Day. 

"Fashions fade, style is eternal" -Yves Saint Laurent