Campus Celebrity: Jennifer Okorie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Jennifer Okorie

Birthday: 9/13/94

Hometown: Maplewood

Year: Junior

Major: Nutrition with a concentration in Dietetics 

Minor: Biology

This week in HCM’s legendary Campus Celebrity saga, we bring to you Miss. Jennifer Okorie. Not only is Jennifer a dedicated student but she is also involved in various campus organizations and the Residence Life Department. She has definitely made a name for herself around Montclair’s campus for being such a strong student leader and a marvelous dancer on the Montclair State Dance Company team. We’ve seen her supervising other students in Freeman Hall, lighting the stage with her dancing shoes in Memorial Hall, and studying throughout campus for upcoming projects. Not to mention along with her involvement, is one of the most bubbly personalities that I personally have ever encountered. Jennifer has most certainly made her mark in the sands of time throughout her last three years here at Montclair State University. In between her busy schedule, we were granted the opportunity to sit and chat with her for a few minutes before she was whisked off to her next venture of the day. Sit back, relax, or recline as you are given an exclusive glimpse into the life of our very own HerCampus Montclair contributing writer and this week’s campus celebrity Jennifer Okorie.

HCM: We know you are a rather dedicated student and largely involved on campus. So what inspired you to become so involved on campus? 

JO: Honestly I would say it was just a matter of trying to get all that I could get out of the college campus experience. Within that experience is being a part of organizations and being a student leader. Overall, my main motivation to get involved was to simply enjoy the years that I’m here for cause I’ll only have one first undergraduate experience. So why not live it up!

HCM: Ok so we know you’re a dancer and a great one at that! So have you ever danced in the rain? 

JO: Of course! All the time. Pouring, drizzling. The best time time to dance in the rain is definitely in the summer.

HCM: I’ve got to try that some time. So, if you could have personally witnessed anything in history, what would it be? 

JO: I’d have to say hearing Dr. King’s “I have a dream speech,” because in elementary school we would watch the videos and I think it’d just be even better to have heard it in person.

HCM: What have you always wanted and did you get it? 

JO: I’ve always wanted to be happy and I am happy right now! So I just want to continue being happy. I also want to help other people achieve their dreams. One way I plan to do this is to help other people become healthier and live a long life.

HCM: Awesome! So, what do you want to do after college?

JO: After my BA I want to do a dietetics internship, for about roughly a year. After that I would like to sit for the RD [Registered Dietitian] exam and then when I pass I’ll become a Registered Dietician. From there I plan to look for a job and get my Masters in Nutrition. After that, I hope to become either a Certified Physical Trainer or Instructor. Then, after all of that I hope to eventually be on a talk show or work on the Food Network. 

HCM: Wow, you’ve got some great plans there! Keep it up. Ok time for a less serious one, what’s your ideal pizza? 

JO: Chicken, lots of spinach, mushrooms and onions.

HCM: Speaking of food, what’s your favorite restaurant? 

JO: My kitchen. Because I can create whatever I want there and I have a free range of creativity. So I am able to make whatever I want.

HCM: Sweet! What about your upbringing has inspired you the most to reach your level of success today? 

JO: I guess because my family is successful so I’d like to be just like them. And we’re all somewhat in the health field and they’re all about helping people and making them better. My family’s motivation helps me to also be motivated. For example my mom is currently back in school and she’s pursuing her license as an RN [Registered Nurse]. I just believe that at any age you can still achieve your dreams and the fact that my family has achieved so much keeps me motivated and pushes me to keep going. 

HCM: Last but not least, what are the top 3 things you have learned in college that weren’t directly taught in class? 

JO: You should put yourself first in some situations, not to be selfish. But, I have to focus on what I initially came to college for before I decide to go to a party for example. I have to do what I’m here for! Another thing I learned is to only do stuff you’re comfortable with. If you’re not comfortable doing something, then you shouldn’t cause it might eat you up inside. Another big one is, it’s worth getting involved on campus. While some people think it’s really time consuming to get involved, it is possible for you to balance it all. Another plus is getting a job on a campus. It is definitely worth it. 

There you have it! Jennifer Okorie is definitely what we here at HCM like to call our very own Campus Celebrity. Keep it up Jen! You’re fabulous ways are an inspiration to us all, to say the least. If you all would like to stay connected to the nutrition diva herself, please check out her health and fitness page on Instagram: @jenno_fit. Jennifer has some awesome tips on how to work towards living a healthier lifestyle through eating balanced meals and working out properly. You won’t regret clicking that follow button!

Sophonie whom is best known as Sophie, is a Graduating Senior at what she likes to call "the best school on this side of town," Montclair State University. In her words, MSU's slogan is not far from the truth because she belives it is definitely all here! Sophie is a Psychology major and a double minor of Creative Writing & African-American Studies. Her first love is reading and second love is creating writing. This is 4th Semester as a writer for HerCampus and she couldn't be happier to still be a part of such an amazing group of young, talented writers. One of Sophie's many future goals is to become a published author.