8 Reasons Having a Significant Other In College Is Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Most people say that college is the time when you will find your best friends, the girls who will be standing behind you on your wedding day and be in your life forever. And, yes, some people are lucky enough to find a group of girls to put up with their crazy side for months before the biggest day of her life. But others are lucky enough to find someone even more important: the person who (they hope) will be standing directly across from them.

These days, college relationships are labeled as “a mistake” and the worst thing you could possibly do because, COLLEGE. But the way I see it, college (okay, maybe just the last year of it, at least) is a time to find a person with similar interests as you. It is a time to find the person you could possibly see yourself staying with; after all, when are we ever going to have the chance to meet this many people in a non-working environment after graduating? Never.

So this one is for the ladies who are on cute dates with the person they love while her friends are out getting plastered and doing things they will regret in the morning. We can all agree that we are in on a little secret our single friends don’t know about… a great relationship will always outweigh the #singlelife and here’s why:

1. You get to listen to your friends’ boy problems (knowing that you cannot relate at all anymore… and for that you’re thankful for). So sit back, hand her a glass of wine, and feel clueless as she complains about the boy she met the other night at a bar who won’t answer her texts; especially since you haven’t had that issue in ages.

2. You get to go on cute dates. Pumpkin picking, decorating a Christmas tree, a trip to the beach; no matter what season, there is always an Instagram-worthy date to go on with your significant other. Chances are you have more fun doing these things than you do on a night out with the girls because you just enjoy being around your S.O.

3. Someone’s always there to make you happy. Even when you’re at your lowest low. Be it failing a class, not showered in days, crampy and emotional. They will tell you are pretty and smart and buy you chipotle. And even though you don’t always believe it, you know they’ll always be there to help you feel confident again…right after you finish that burrito.

4. Hello…Tshirts and sweatpants! Your sleepwear selection doubles when you have a significant other, if that’s not a wonderful thing then I don’t know what is.

5. You don’t have to worry about finding a date for events. Whether it’s a wedding you have to attend, a sorority formal, or anything else imaginable, you get to sit back and relax while everyone scrambles at the last minute for the perfect guy to bring. And it’s guaranteed that you’ll always have a better night anyway since you’re not with some rando that doesn’t even know your major.

6. You have a best friend and a significant other all wrapped into one. You two are almost always on the same page and chances are they know what you’re thinking before you even do. You have someone that you can tell everything to and know that you won’t be judged for it at all because they’ll love you no matter what.

7. You can finally tell your family, “yes, I’m in a relationship.” I know I’m not the only one who absolutely hated when my family asked about my non-existent love life when I was single. But when you actually have a love life, you love when he gets along with your family and look forward to showing him off.

8. You think about the future. No, I don’t necessarily mean the future with that person, but your own future. Being in a relationship makes you want to better yourself and you have a built in motivator right by your side helping you accomplish your goals. Having someone that you want to make proud will push you to work that much harder to make big achievements.

Share your reasons why being in a relationship is totally worth it in college!

My name is Kelly, I'm a senior at Montclair State. I'm an English major with a minor in journalism.
Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!