5 Tips on How to Survive as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Transfer students go through a specific type of struggle that other students just don’t understand. Follow these tips to help your school year and experience as a transfer student go as smoothly as possible!

Embrace Your New Home, Especially if it’s Red Hawk Country

You’ve received your Associate’s degree at your local community college and are ready to continue your education. Maybe things simply weren’t that dreamy at your dream school. Regardless, you’ve made the choice to transfer, and it’s time to not only accept that but to embrace it. Go to the bookstore, get some gear with your new school’s name on it and wear it with pride!

See Your Academic Advisor

And do it ASAP! It can take a while for your transfer credits to get completely (and correctly) straightened out. Transferring is stressful enough, the last thing you need is to end up in a class you’ve already taken or worse, have your graduation delayed because things weren’t in order. Your advisor is there to help you, so make an appointment and make it soon.

Stay Organized

Sometimes you’re going to have to be the proactive one when it comes to things like getting your credits straightened out. Keep a copy of a transcript from every college you’ve attended for reference, because they can definitely come in handy. After meeting with your advisor, go over everything to make sure you understand what’s required of you in order to graduate. You’ll not only be on the right track to graduation, you’ll also feel great pride in knowing that you took the initiative and are on the correct path to academic success.  

Meet New People

Whether your group of friends at your old school was #squadgoals or you were riding solo, you’re in a new environment, so take the opportunity to meet new people! Attend school events, join clubs (like Her Campus Montclair!) and make the extra effort to say hello to whoever is sitting next to you in class. Having a solid group of friends will make your time at your new school feel more and more like home.

Get That Education

Despite all the frustrations that transferring brings, at the end of the day, your mission is to learn so do just that! Buckle down and study hard, but don’t forget to enjoy yourself. College goes by fast so enjoy the Red Hawk ride!

Source: 1 2

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.