4 Tips to Handle an Embarrassing Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We’ve all had those kinds of embarrassing moments where we would do almost anything to hit a magic rewind button, but who are we kidding? There are no rewind buttons in life and it goes on whether we want it to or not. Imagine it’s the first time you’re going on a date with the guy you’ve been eyeing in your biology class and as soon as you walk into the restaurant, not only are you super nervous believing you actually resemble Megan Fox as you’re walking through the door, but you trip and fall flat on your face! There are many different outcomes to this situation but you are the only one who decides just what that outcome is. Here are some steps to handling embarrassing moments even the ones as bad as falling in front of your crush.

1. Accept. The first thing you need to do is accept what just occurred; whether it’s forgetting someone’s name you’ve met a thousand times or just walking from your car to the mall with your skirt tucked into your underwear, you must accept it to then continue onto… laughing at yourself!
  2. Laugh. Tiger Woods once said, “If you can’t laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?” And he’s so right! When you laugh at yourself it makes it okay for other people to laugh as well. Although you may be mortified, you’re the center of attention and it’s best when you’re laughing with them rather than them at you. Wouldn’t you prefer them laughing with you than at you?
  3. Happens Everyday. Embarrassing moments happen every day. Whether you are an average college student at Montclair State or an Academy Award winning actress in Hollywood, you will encounter embarrassing moments. They keep life real.
  4. Forget. The last thing you can do is forget about it. Pretend it never happened. Eventually someone else will do something embarrassing and you’ll be old news!

Photo Sources:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tuox5r3Yss0/Tx64R3iTLdI/AAAAAAAAOc8/xda_XSEVHJU/s1600/laughing-woman.jpg
http://jenandmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/woman-embarrassed.jpg