This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When you think about Thanksgiving, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Maybe you immediately think about watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade or sitting at a family dinner. Or remember in elementary school when teachers made you trace your hand on a piece of paper to make a Turkey? And when you had to write down all of the things you were thankful for?

I often forget to actually think about all that I am thankful for, so I decided to write it down. How often do you remind yourself of everything that you should be thankful for? Before this Thanksgiving, I’m challenging you all to write down everything that you are thankful for.

Here are 16 things that I am thankful for this year!

1. My Sister

My sister is my best friend and partner in crime; I could never thank her enough for always being there for me and supporting me. I am so thankful for our irreplaceable bond.

2. My Dog

Who would’ve thought that a miniature American Eskimo puppy could bring so much happiness into a person’s life? I am so thankful for my dog because he teaches me to appreciate the little things in life every single day.

3. Books

I genuinely feel bad for people who can’t name a book that has inspired them. It can be hard to find time to read for fun, especially while in school, but it’s so worth it. Books can make you laugh, cry, and take you to another world. And for that reason, I am so thankful for books.

4. Adult Coloring Books

If it weren’t for coloring books relieving my stress, I would’ve probably gone insane by now. If you have not colored in an adult coloring book, I highly suggest you start right now. I am so thankful for rediscovering how amazing coloring books are.

5. Smiling

Smiling can tell you a lot about a person. There are people who try to smile even when they’re having a terrible day. Even just attempting to smile can make you feel a little better. I’m so thankful for being able to smile, as well as being able to see other people smile.

6. My Education

Although school causes me an insane amount of stress, I am still thankful for it at the end of the day. Every day that I’m working at my part-time retail job makes me realize that I don’t want to be there for the rest of my life. I am thankful for my education because it will allow me to pursue my dreams (hopefully).

7. Coupons

As a girl whose paychecks don’t satisfy her shopping habits, coupons are life-savers. In order to try to control my spending, I try to only shop when I have coupons. My bank account could not be more any more thankful for coupons!

8. Being Passionate

After voicing my opinion about the election results, a friend told me that she could tell it was something I was passionate about. At first, I was pretty disappointed in myself. I thought, “If only I wasn’t so passionate.” I realized that passion is something to be proud of, and not to be ashamed of. I am so thankful that I am able to be passionate about topics that are important to me.

9. My Boyfriend

It is hard to find words to explain how thankful I am for my boyfriend. Even when I think that I’m losing my mind, he keeps me sane. It is amazing when your best friend is also your boyfriend. I am so thankful to have had him by my side this year.

10. New Lives

My newest baby cousin was the first baby that I’ve ever held. Because of him, I have realized how precious new lives are. I am so thankful for my baby cousin, and I want him to have the best life he can possibly have.

11. My New Year’s Resolution

This year has been the first year that I have actually stuck to my New Year’s Resolution, and I couldn’t be prouder. Since I was extremely addicted to coffee, my resolution was to reduce how much I drank it. I’m so thankful for going all of 2016 so far with only drinking 2-3 cups of coffee a week.

12. Kind Strangers

The other day, a random woman in the mall parking lot made a huge scene and cursed me out for no reason. Obviously I was extremely confused and upset, so another stranger came up to me and made sure I was okay. She cheered me up and reminded me to just ignore the rude woman. I am so thankful for the kind strangers that are willing to step into a situation like this.

13. The People Who Stand Up For Themselves

One thing that I will never do is allow other people walk all over me. I truly admire people who won’t take any nonsense. I’m thankful for these people because I truly admire people who are able to stand up for themselves, and others too!

14. Self-Improvement

If you’ve got a crazy schedule like me, you might have a hard time choosing between priorities sometimes. I’ve learned to decline offers that do not benefit or improve my life in any way. I am thankful for how far I’ve gone with improving myself by keeping this mindset.

15. Fuzzy Socks

This list would be incomplete without fuzzy socks. They are my favorite socks to wear around the house, and they look cute while keeping your toes warm. I’ve probably worn fuzzy socks at least 4 times every week, no joke. I am honestly so thankful for always getting fuzzy socks for Christmas.

16. Big Dreams

No one would ever succeed in life if they didn’t dream big. I know that I have huge dreams for myself after I graduate college, so I will try my hardest to be the best version of myself. I am so thankful for being able to dream big and not set limits for myself.

These 16 things are just the beginning of what I am thankful for this year. 2016 has been a crazy year for most of us, but don’t forget to stop and think about all that you have to be thankful for!

Source: 1 2

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.