11 Tips for Hosting the Perfect Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Sometimes it’s just easier and more fun to have Thanksgiving with friends instead of family. But if you’re the host, it can be more stressful than you intended. Here are our best tips for hosting a Friendsgiving your friends will be talking about for years to come.

1. Preparation is key. The turkey needs to be bought in advance so it can thaw. Make sure everybody is sure of the time and place and know who is bringing what so there are no mixups. You should probably plan everything out several weeks in advance. Make lists of what you need to buy and what you already have, who is bringing what dish and how many people are coming so you can set the table accordingly.

2. Make sure everybody knows what to bring. According to Friendsgiving rules, the host is only responsible for the turkey and gravy since neither travel well. In that case, make sure all of your guests know exactly what to make so there aren’t doubles or no-shows of a certain dish. Try a shared Google Doc where everyone can sign up for a dish.

3. Make sure everybody has something to eat. Be sure to accommodate your vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free/dairy-free friends. Whether that means having them bring a dish they can eat or ensuring someone else does, make sure everyone has an equal opportunity to enjoy themselves.

4. Think about the table setting in advance. Make sure you know how many people are coming so you can make sure that you have enough room for everybody. Also get creative with your table decorations. Hit up a craft store and buy some fun, Pinterest-worthy place settings. Make sure to brush up on your place setting knowledge (i.e. know which side the fork goes on).

5. Consider serving platters. Your friends have put in the effort to make and bring a dish, so why not show it off on a nice serving platter for all to admire?

6. Don’t forget about drinks. Whether alcoholic or not, be sure to provide beverage options to your guests or have someone bring them If you’re over 21, maybe consider some fun cocktail mixes to spice up the party.

7. ICE. Ice is going to be vital to the success of your meal, so don’t forget to get some in advance. Nobody likes warm drinks that are supposed to be cold.

8. Games! What are people going to do after they finish eating? Talk? Dance? Play games? These are things to consider when planning a successful Friendsgiving.

9. Consider your playlist. If you have a friend with great taste in music, think about asking them to make an appropriate playlist to complement the occasion. Also, make sure you have some speakers or know who to borrow some from so the playlist can be properly appreciated.

10. Think about the dress code. Consider whether you want a fancier or more casual event and make sure your guests are aware. Nothing is more embarrassing than being under (or over) dressed for an event.

11. Try something new. Friendsgiving is a holiday for experimenting. Throw some old Thanksgiving traditions out the window and make your own. Try a new turkey recipe or make cardamom pumpkin pie instead of the traditional.

Have fun! Just because you’re the host, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy yourself. If something isn’t going your way, remember that perfection is overrated and these are your friends who accept that you aren’t perfect and don’t need to be. Don’t spend the night stressing, instead have a laugh or a dance and socialize with your friends. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Journalism major at Montclair State
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.