neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Grandma: A Cancer Survivor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

A grandma is one who bakes you cookies and lets you get away with mischief that your parents would not allow. A grandma is one who spoils you rotten and leaves lipstick marks on your cheeks as she pinches and smooches you. To me, my grandma is all of these, but she is also someone very special and dear to me. My grandma raised three girls, along with my grandpa in the town of Prior Lake, MN. She worked for the school district for many years and was known by many for her caring, and well-liked character. Everyone and anyone loves her presence.

Juanita Leno, my grandma, is someone that demonstrates strength in ways I didn’t think possible. Several years ago, my grandma was diagnosed with cancer and received operations as well as chemotherapy to cure this nasty illness that affects so many lives today. Thankfully, the cancer was cured and my grandma lived several years a cancer-free survivor. Doctor’s visits were always quite nerve-wracking as there was always a possibility it could return. Our worst fears came true one day, when we found out that the cancer had returned once again.

To this day, my grandma continues to fight this disease, but if you were to meet her you would never guess that she fights a daily battle. You will not see her without a smile on her face, you will not see her with a negative attitude and you will surely not see her ever giving up. How could someone continue such a positive outlook on life while dealing with numerous struggles? How does someone continue to go on day to day with a smile on their face, while their body is internally being poisoned by such toxic drugs to eliminate this treacherous illness?  It is possible and my grandma is living proof of it.

Even though my grandma struggles, she continues to be selfless and cares for others before herself.  Her strength, her courage and her selflessness inspired me to learn what got her through this journey. I asked her a few questions to learn how this illness has impacted her in both negative and positive ways.

How did you feel when you first got the news that you had cancer?

JL:  It was a shock and I was overwhelmed.  I was unable to speak to the doctor for some time.  My mind was going in so many directions as I was trying to comprehend what the doctor had just told me.  It took me some time. Of course there were lots of tears.

What message would you provide to individuals who are struggling whether it be with their health or other life obstacles?   

JL: Stay positive and never give up.  Have faith and you will get through whatever obstacles come.  Smile.

What kept/keeps you fighting?   

JL:  My family.  I am blessed to have the most wonderful husband, children and grandchildren.  They give me so much support and inspiration.

What is something that you took out/are taking out of this life-changing journey?

JL: Life is precious.  Cherish every moment.  I am so thankful.

Obviously, cancer puts your life on hold.  Is there a specific moment when you were hit by this realization?   

JL: As I arrived for my first chemotherapy treatment at the University of Minnesota, I looked up at the name of the building, Masonic Cancer Center, and it was then I knew.  I have had surgery for colon cancer and I need treatment.  My life will change as I deal with what is to come.

Everyone has struggles in their lives, some more intense than others.  What you can take away from my grandma’s experience is to never take anything for granted, put a smile on your face and cherish every moment. As my grandma states “never give up and have faith”, because you do have the strength to get through anything. If my grandma can fight this illness on a daily basis, you can overcome whatever comes your way. My grandma is selfless, she is a caregiver, and most importantly she is a role model that goes to show that a little bit of strength and a little bit of positivity can go a long way.