This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Did the past month literally fly by for anyone else? It’s as if I woke up this morning and January is gone and the month of love is already here. Valentine’s day is in a matter of days.

If you’re like me, you will be spending valentine’s alone while all your friends are with their significant others. If I am being honest, the holidays this year were hard. Not having anyone to bake cookies with, or string lights around the house with. I didn’t have a special someone in my life to shop and wrap numerous gifts for. I warmed up my own car before going anywhere. I watched couples drinking hot coffee in the local coffee shop. I watched my best friends celebrate another season with the one they love.

Instead of getting down on myself for being alone, I took this time to reflect on my past year. If you are in the same position as I am, and haven’t taken the time to reflect on the person you have become during 2016 I highly suggest you do so. I have taken the time to know who I am and what I want out of life. I have put all my effort into friendships and working towards goals. I lost weight, I read more books, I learned to cook and I spent time doing things I love. I can confidently say I am happy with who I am. Yes, I have changed over the year.

As you reflect on your changes from the past year I encourage you to write them down. Physically look at the good and the bad that has happened this past year. When you are able to visually see that you can make goals for this year. I am excited for you to become the person you can love unconditionally. You deserve to be happy and confident this year.

With Valentine’s day approaching I won’t be heartbroken because I am single. I will be my own valentine because I truly love who I am. I love that I am proud of myself. Certainly, I want to share my life and who I am with someone. But we need to take time to be sure we have self love first.