alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stages Of Summer Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Students wait for summer vacation all year long. It’s the magical time of year when you have no schedule, freedom to travel, free housing and food provided by your parents, and no homework. It’s the time to be spontaneous and adventurous, but more often than not, summer is broken down into very predictable phases. Though they may not be as glamourous as your Instagram suggests, they’re the backbone to a true summer vacation.

1. Anticipation

You miss your family. You miss your cat. You dream of laying on the beach and sitting by bonfires all through finals week. Summer is so close you can practically taste the piña coladas.

2. Relief

Finals are over and you no longer have a care in the world. You can go back home where your parents will feed you for the next three months. The feeling is glorious.

3. Excitement

Walking out of your last class, you’re immediately ready to break out your bikini and drink an iced tea by the pool. 

4. Relaxation

It feels like you haven’t had time to relax in a year and now you can’t get enough of it.

5. Having the time of your life

After you spend a couple weeks in a poolside coma, you’re ready for a little excitement. Maybe you went on vacay or you met up with your besties. Either way, this is when the best summer memories are made.

6. Boredom

Your friends all retreated back home, your family won’t hang out with you anymore, and you’ve watched one too many Netflix series. It feels like there’s nothing left for you here.

7. Anticipation (for school this time)

Your family continues to ask you if you’re excited to go back and honestly, school can’t come soon enough.

8. Regret

You didn’t do anything on that summer bucket list you made and now you’re feeling bad about it so you cram everything into the last few days.

9. Back to School

Now you’re back at college with your people and the fall semester looks as promising as ever.

10. Back to Reality

Until you remember how hard school actually is and you wish it was still summer vacation.

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli