tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making New Friends in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Coming from a small town, I was always around the same people. I attended the same school all the way through high school. With this, I was with the same people in school for my entire life. High school was very cliquey. Since we all knew each other so well, people decided who they really wanted to be friends with, and once they found their group of friends, they stuck with those people.

Everyone was pretty much expected to go to the state college, and therefore, live in that city for the rest of their lives. This wasn’t what I wanted. I chose to leave and move to New York City, and leave all my friends.

Moving away and starting college can seem daunting. You will be surrounded by all new people. It’s not just you that goes in not knowing anyone, everyone else is in the same position. It is ok to feel lost at first, but you will figure out the hang of things pretty quickly.

College is a chance to give yourself a fresh start. It is important to go into college with a positive attitude. No one wants to be around a moody person who looks miserable.

Be an includer, and try your best to talk to everyone. There is no need to feel rushed in making friends. College is a lot less cliquey than high school. You will most likely have a closer group of friends, but everyone is really friends with each other. You will be with these people for at least four more years, and most likely throughout the rest of your life. These friendships you make can last a lifetime, so make the most of them.

I currently attend Marymount Manhattan College as a fourth-year senior where I am pursuing a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Dance with a double concentration in Choreography and Modern and a Bachelors of the Arts in Business with a concentration in Media & Arts Management. While at Marymount Manhattan College, I have choreographed new dance works for Dancers at Work and screenPLAY through the Dance Department. In my choreographic endeavors, I utilize an abstract, multidisciplinary method which reveals opportunities for further analysis, stimulates thought-provoking questions, and encourages societal change-making. I am interested in utilizing both my knowledge of Dance and Arts Management to create an interdisciplinary performance arts entity upon graduating from Marymount Manhattan College.