Your Top 10 Guide to Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Ok, so we all know how this trick or treat thing goes: you plan out your night according to which houses are known for giving out king-sized bars, which houses leave bowls out that need to be reached first (you know, before someone steals all the candy and the actual bowl) and an itinerary that allows you enough time to loop back around after a quick costume change. This holy night of all holy nights is a time to bask in the glory of free candy and … well, free candy. Sure, we collegiettes might be “too old” to be trick-or-treating, but that doesn’t mean you can’t mooch off a younger sibling’s haul from the night. But where do you even begin? After many, many tireless years of research, here is a definitive list of the top 10 best Halloween candy, ranked from best to worst for your convenience this spooktacular season.

1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Candy

These perfect little snacks are my life source. It’s not just me either; a marketing website called Influenster surveyed over 40,000 users in September 2015 to collect data on the favorite candy by state in the U.S. Reese’s was the most popular with the most votes across the country. Plus, they just come in so many delicious forms: Fast Break bars, Reese’s pieces, classic peanut butter cups, etc. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

2. Kit Kat

Another one of the top treats according to Influenster’s poll, and a near and dear favorite to my heart, is Kit Kat. Who doesn’t love that satisfying crunch as you snap the wafers apart, savoring the anticipation of the sweet treat you’re about to enjoy? Just promise me you won’t eat them like Kim K. It’s basically blasphemy.

3. Sour Patch Kids

Seriously, these little sour-sweet snacks are perfect for any occasion. They’re super delicious with popcorn at the movie theater or will wake you up if you’re struggling to get through (yet another) boring lecture. Plus, who doesn’t love those adorable commercials?

4. Skittles

What a classic. Even though you run the risk of getting scammed picking these up on Halloween night (four pieces in one little packet is not okay you horrible people) it’s almost like you can never have enough of these scrumptious treats. They’re perfect because they’re portable and shareable, even though we both know you’re going to eat the whole bag.

5. Snickers

I mean, these are probably the number one cause of my cavities over the course of my youth, but they were always well worth it. Even Betty White likes them— that’s how you know they’re good.

6. Twizzlers OR Red Vines

I really struggled even deciding whether or not to put this on the list. Because obviously licorice is the key to happiness, but there is such a grand debate between these two iconic brands. Personally, I’m a Red Vines gal. But Twizzlers won the most popular spot in Kansas according to the Influenster … eh, it’s just Kansas. Red Vines can take the win. 

7. Starbursts

Ok unless you happen to have the unfortunate fate of getting all yellow pieces in a pack, Starbursts are the shit. And yet they kind of remind me of the dentist’s office? Oh well.

8. Twix

I mean, if I’m being totally honest, I don’t really know the difference between these and Snickers, but Betty White doesn’t support Twix and also I can’t remember the last time I had a Twix. I feel like it’s probably just like the forgotten middle child of the candy bar family.

9. Jolly Ranchers

Not gonna lie, I had a way-too-long period in middle school where I always had a bag of Jolly Ranchers on deck. They’re great to suck on throughout the day, and you can always pass out the gross grape ones to other people in a somewhat selfish gesture of kindness.

10. Hershey’s Kisses

Ok, so I really love Hershey’s Kisses, but my issue here is that they’re so small. I need at least 20 to satisfy my chocolate craving. Which is perfect if I just want to buy myself a bag at the grocery store, but when trick-or-treating? If you’re lucky or just particularly bold, you could maybe get two or three out of a single house. But still, is it ever enough?

There are so many different kinds of candy out there, from rich and savory to sour and tangy, that there’s something for everyone. Not sure if you agree with this list? Then go forth and try them all, eat even more candy and create your own ranking. Just make sure to file it under “important research” when you put it into your diet tracker app.

HC Contributer Mizzou