Ways to Transform Your Wardrobe from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Fall is upon us, and the scent of pumpkin spice is in the air. That means it’s time to store away the mini skirts, flip flops and tank tops. On second thought, keep those tank tops on the hangers for another season.

Layering

A great way to transform your clothes from summer to fall is by layering. Tank tops are a great example of this. Whether it’s paired with a sweater or leather jacket, it’s ideal for those days that gradually get warmer outside, so you can shed layers. Tanks can be worn over instead of under as well. I have recently been styling a few of my more flowing tanks on top of long-sleeve shirts and turtlenecks. It is a great option that keeps you warm while maintaining the trend factor. Sliping dresses over turtlenecks or a plain t-shirt is another example of a layering technique.

Photo source

Speaking of dresses, another way to layer is by wearing your cute summer dresses under a thicker jacket or sweater. If you are a stickler about staying between the  fall color palette lines, this one might not be for you. I keep the same dresses in my closet all year around for two reasons: One, because I absolutely love my dress collection and have been able to find an occasion for each one, and two, because dresses can be quite expensive, and I am all about getting value out of them. With just the right styling, a casual, summery dress can be transformed into a stylish lunch, dinner or going out on the town outfit.

Photo source

Make use of colors

Neutrals typically take precedence during the cooler months, but don’t pack away those colorful pieces yet! A pop of color adds a nice contrast to the simpler pieces. I’ll admit, the majority of my closet consists of black, white and nude hues. I’ve been challenging myself to gravitate towards some bolder pieces that still can be versatile. Color experts from the Pantone Institute of Color declared the major colors trends this fall are to pair classic autumn shades (navy, deep burgundy, and browns) with comforting lighter colors (light pink, marina blue).

Photo source

Lastly, this idea is for those fashionistas that value comfort first and foremost. Take a cute denim or wispy skirt and wear it with a sweatshirt or cable knit jumper. This combination is set to impress effortlessly.

Photo source

So, next time you pull out the joggers, just think you could probably wear it with your favorite summer crop top and bomber jacket without compromising your bank account.

HC Contributer Mizzou