An Open Letter to Justin Bieber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Dear Justin,

Where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday I was watching the music video for “One Time” over and over and pronouncing your last name “Bye-ber.” It’s been almost six and a half years since then, and boy have things changed.

You went through a rough patch back in 2014 (Bill Clinton, the bucket, eggs… you know what I’m talking about), but I supported you through it all. Looking back I was kind of naive about it. I didn’t want to admit it, but you were being a huge brat. However, the majority of people judging you and rejoicing over your downfall had no idea what is was like to be in your shoes. You’re under a microscope. The whole world is watching your every move, waiting to pounce as soon as you mess up. I can’t even imagine what that does to someone’s mental state.

But even after all of that, you picked yourself up, put aside your pride and apologized for your actions. It takes real strength and humility to do something like that. Then, to the joy of ears everywhere, you released “Where Are Ü Now” with Skrillex and Diplo. I mean, what a banger. It was the perfect comeback song after a three-year hiatus (unless Journals counts as an album. Does it? I’m still not quite sure what that was supposed to be.)

Now with your new album Purpose coming out, it seems all is right in the world again. You’ve grown into a mature young man who has learned from his mistakes. But like you remind us in your latest single “I’ll Show You,” I won’t forget that you’re human Justin, and I won’t forget that you’re real.

Sincerely,

A Loving Belieber

Writer. Traveler. Starbucks regular.
A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO