This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Could you go a day without shoes? Every day, millions of kids walk around barefoot. April 5 marked TOMS Shoes’ One Day Without Shoes celebration hosted by Mizzou One for One. Students went to class shoeless and participated in a barefoot mile walk and feet-painting.

Mizzou One for One is a campus organization dedicated to raising awareness about the TOMS Shoes One for One Movement. For every pair of TOMS sold, another pair is donated to a child without shoes. Having shoes protects children from soil-transmitted diseases, cuts and scrapes and allows them to go to school. One for One has participated in the national Day Without Shoes the past three years, and awareness of the group’s mission is growing across campus. This year, the men and women’s lacrosse teams practiced without shoes!

Students painted their feet in support of Mizzou One for One’s One Day Without Shoes at Tiger Plaza on Tuesday.

Feet-painting was just one of the many One Day Without Shoes activities.

Boxes lining Tiger Plaza displayed information about the difficulties children without shoes face every day.

Mizzou One for One members (left to right: Rachel Stinebring, Samantha Coates, Raean Stockham) pose barefooted.

April Voltmer painted  John Savio’s feet. John liked feet-painting so much that he recruited several passersby to participate.

Blowing in the wind, campus fliers directed students to the event.

Forrest Dougan and TOMS campus representative Kelsey Mitchell jumped for joy over TOMS shoes.

Mizzou One for One members posed with a TOMS flag signed by TOMS creator Blake Mycoskie.

Students gathered at 3 p.m. Tuesday to walk a mile barefoot around campus.

While on the mile walk, participants stopped for a picture in front of the columns.

A Mizzou men’s lacrosse player waited to catch a pass during the team’s barefoot practice.

Lacrosse Coach Keith Euker posed with TOMS campus representative, Kelsey Mitchell, at the team’s practice.

A women’s lacrosse player ran barefoot during her practice.

The Mizzou men’s and women’s lacrosse teams took a barefoot group shot.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.