This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Full Name: Manuel Ortega, but everyone calls me Manny.

Year at Mizzou: Sophomore

Hometown: Manhattan, Illinois (South Suburb of Chicago)

Major: Psychology 

Campus Involvement: Beta Sigma Psi Fraternity and I work at the Starbucks in Memorial Union

Relationship Status: Single

Favorite Mizzou Tradition: Streaking the Quad

Most Embarrassing Moment: I was hanging out with a girl that I really wanted to make a good first impression on one night and eventually we got around to me showing her my guitar. After she played and sang me a song (I know, I was impressed too), I played a song for her, and it was going great, until I accidently hit her straight in the nose with it, and her nose started to bleed. She said she liked the song though, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

Ideal Date: I enjoy doing just about anything whether it’s getting dinner, meeting up for coffee, taking a walk, or going out together. It would depend a lot on the girl I’m taking out. The ideal date, regardless of what we do, would be one where we have incredible conversation, laugh a lot and genuinely get to know each other.

What do you look for in your significant other? I look for intelligence, sincerity, kindness, a sense of humor, and a positive attitude…and if you have long hair, pretty eyes, and enjoy exercising and staying in shape then I’m yours. Aaaaand if you can handle my sarcasm, dish it back, and keep me on my toes then just tell me how many karats the ring is going to be and where you want to get married. 

Guilty Pleasure: Learning cheesy pop songs on the guitar and jamming out by myself to them. If you could spend the day with anyone in the world who would you choose, and why? My Grandpa, my dad has taught me so much about life, and I would love another opportunity to learn from the man that raised my biggest hero.

Favorite Pick-Up Line: I’m a waste of your energy and you’re a waste of my time, so why don’t we get together and waste it all tonight?

Last Song Played on iPod: “Tangle in this Trampled Wheat” by: The Tallest Man on Earth.

What is one thing you wish to accomplish this year? One of my big goals was to get into better shape and be healthier, and, by eating better and exercising, I’ve lost over 20 lbs. I hope to keep it up all year long because I feel good, and I feel good about it. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Personally, I would like to be settled down, married, and raising a family. Professionally, I believe that everyone needs help sometimes and that everyone goes through hard times, but no one should feel like they have to go through it alone. That being said, I would love the opportunity to help people manage and get through with mental illness or personal problems as a therapist, counselor, or psychologist.