Dance Moms: Miami Doesn’t Live Up To Original

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Get ready for tears, screaming and drama galore when you tune into Dance Moms: Miami on Lifetime. If you’ve ever seen the original Dance Moms in Pittsburgh, you know what I am talking about.

Staying true to the original, the bickering moms, talented dancers and intense choreographers are back – Miami style. Victor and Angel work together choreographing dances, so along with the moms voicing their opinions to them, you get to see the additional drama and bickering between the two of them.

Many aspects of the show are very similar to the original. Instead of “the pyramid,” Victor and Angel implemented “the list,” in which they put the dancers in order based on their recent attitudes and performances. The setup of the show is essentially the same. The cameras follow the dancers as they learn difficult choreography in a short amount of time, travel to various competitions around the country to compete and win numerous awards. Crying, fighting and yelling fill all the gaps in between. These devoted dance moms are not afraid to make their opinions known, especially when it comes to defending their child.

Despite the drama, this spin-off doesn’t measure up. The Miami choreography does not seem as interesting and innovative. As an avid fan of the original Dance Moms for two seasons (and not missing an episode), I have grown attached to those girls and moms, so my opinion might be a little biased. I don’t know yet if I will continue to watch this season. But I’d encourage you to make tune in and decide for yourself!

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!