Dance Marathon Is About More Than Dancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As an organization that’s been established for six years and counting, Mizzou’s Dance Marathon has helped raise thousands of dollars for the MU Children’s Hospital. This year alone 775 dancers came together to donate a total of $176,290.

“Dance Marathon is actually a 365-day effort,” said Victoria Mechler, director of public relations for Dance Marathon. “Saturday was our main event and it’s just a culmination, or a celebration of everything that we have been doing for the past year”. 

The difference between Dance Marathon and other organizations is that the teams work hard to build relationships with the kids that they sponsor. Throughout the year, dancers are encouraged to come to events where they can meet the children for whom they are fundraising. 

“We really want the dancers to have the opportunity to meet the kids and really feel more invested in who they are dancing for,” Mechler said. “Your fundraising then has more of an impact.”

All of the money that Dance Marathon raises stays in Columbia. Through efforts of canning, selling merchandise and asking for donations from family and friends, the dancers and crew members are able to reach their goal. This year’s goal of $160,000 was surpassed by about $16,000.

“It feels great when you finally get to the main event and you get to see all of the families and also see that your hard work has paid off,” Jessica Smith said.

The main event occurs annually in the Mizzou Rec Center. As a part of the celebration, dancers who have raised a minimum of $100 are able to dance for the entire 13.1 hours and also engage in other activities.

“Something that people don’t really know is that we teach you a dance,” Mechler said. “We will actually teach you a six minute long dance throughout the 13.1 hours. By the end of the day you’re going to be able to do it.”

While the main event is focused on dancing, a lot of students register for Dance Marathon because of the emotional impact it brings. 

“Last year at the very end of the main event everyone held hands as they cut off their wristbands,” said sophomore Luke Pierce. “It was very emotional and it was then that I realized that this isn’t just about dancing — it’s really about the kids and helping them.”

This year Dance Marathon was able to sponsor 21 children from the MU Children’s Hospital. Many of the children and their families visited the main event to thank all of the students for their hard work and support. 

It was really neat to see someone so young that’s gone through so much and just laugh and have a great time for the day,” Brian Czaicki said. “That’s why I love Mizzou Dance Marathon. If I can in any way contribute to making one of these kids smile or laugh for the day, it was worth it.”

The emotional investment between the children and the dancers is what draws many of the students to register for next year. In fact, the connections made at the main event have had such an impact that dancers call themselves a DMamily, and have become actively involved with the families during the year.

There’s an energy at this event that makes you proud to be a Tiger,” Czaicki said. “It’s indescribable. You have to go experience it for yourself. You hear these kids stories and you want to be involved with this massive movement. Show up, and let the stories of the children speak for themselves.”

Andrea Guzel is a staff writer for Her Campus Mizzou. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Missouri and is majoring in Communications. When she's not studying, Andrea enjoys staying fit, reading, writing, hanging out with friends and family, or walking over to the local frozen yogurt place. After graduation, Andrea hopes to use her degree to help people. Follow her on Twitter @andreaguzel
HC Contributer Mizzou